Alternative ways for White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a question I've always had...when do you white balance?

Like, is there a guidleine for which depths to re-balance? Obviously the rule of thumb would be different in Bonaire than it would be in my home Massachusetts waters, but any thoughts on this?

I re-white balance when I make a decent change in depth like 20 ft. or more.

Red Filter ON
White Slate
Every 20'
Shot-off then on!

I think I've got the idea... This could still work with the lights, since the cam will calculate the additional light and will not blow up those reds when you shoot a close-up. I think the worst thing using lights and red filter (which is not a bayonette) is the excess reds you cannot control! When you want to shoot both color-corrected wide angle scenes and light-supported close-ups but if you cannot put on or off your red filter then this way should work out. Am I expecting too much?

What do you think guys?

Rgrds,
Yener...

yceltikci:
... When you want to shoot both color-corrected wide angle scenes and light-supported close-ups but if you cannot put on or off your red filter then this way should work out. Am I expecting too much?

What do you think guys?

Rgrds,
Yener...

No, you are not expecting too much, many housings have internal flip filters for just this purpose.

ronrosa:
No, you are not expecting too much, many housings have internal flip filters for just this purpose.

....or external flips as well.

paulpost..yep 20' vertical not horizontal. White balance at 20', then 40', then 60'. Don't forget the red filter at 15-20 before white balancing.

Also might want to concider white balance if you have a huge change it sunlight. I'm no pro so someone correct me if I am wrong.

Sorry about that I was kinda puzzled with your question. Didn't figure that horizontal was your question.

Yes, on both decent as well as ascent. If you ascend and then go back down..white balance again. After the 15'-20' mark then flip the red filter out and rebalance if needed.

crpntr133:
Also might want to concider white balance if you have a huge change it sunlight. I'm no pro so someone correct me if I am wrong.

You would definetely want to re-WB when you go in the wreck/cavern and then when you go out. In both cases, light amount and light type (sun/lights) will change and I guess we have to adjust WB accordingly.

I'm dying to try this. I think it will work a lot... :007:

rgrds,
Yener

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom