Alternatives to Halcyon ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
I'm getting requests in the DIR forum... you guys see this? :)

I'm not positive on the DIR length, I would assume it should be just long enough to reach the shoulder D-ring and allow you to orally inflate it, that being said the hose on my Pioneer 36 was 15 inches (now on my Classic).

Well, most people say pull dumps are bad because you shouldn't be yanking on life support equipment, but also, they're kinda cheesy. Unscrew the cap on the end of pull dump (seriously, do it) and look inside and you'll see a purge valve just like on snorkels... not very "robust". This could still fail even if you don't use it, you could aqua-seal it or something, but it's better to just get an elbow (you need a specific one)

As far as the ball goes, tie a knot in the string a little past finger's length then cut the rest off after the knot and melt the end to keep it from unravelling.

I do still dive this rig, in fact it spent 3 months on a boat this summer doing 95 dives and spending 65+ hours underwater and still going strong.

Ben
Why does the inflator hose need to reach your D ring?

skipperbrown@yahoo.com:
Why does the inflator hose need to reach your D ring?
"By the book", it is just (barely) long enough to allow it to be threaded through the bungee at the D-ring, and still allow you to hold and operate both the LPI and drysuit inflator with one hand (which would be just enough to allow oral inflation as well).

Which D-ring are you thinking of? The hip, or lower left chest on a "Tech-BC"? I can't imagine a hose not long enough to reach the left shoulder D-ring.

RichLockyer:
"By the book", it is just (barely) long enough to allow it to be threaded through the bungee at the D-ring, and still allow you to hold and operate both the LPI and drysuit inflator with one hand (which would be just enough to allow oral inflation as well).

Which D-ring are you thinking of? The hip, or lower left chest on a "Tech-BC"? I can't imagine a hose not long enough to reach the left shoulder D-ring.

assuming that the shoulder D-ring is high enough....

Which D-ring are you thinking of? The hip, or lower left chest on a "Tech-BC"? I can't imagine a hose not long enough to reach the left shoulder D-ring.[/QUOTE]

I'm new to your configuration so bear with me. I see a lot of common sense in your methods and several 'gee, why didn't I think of that?' and I really like the lingere concept of 'less is more' and 'brevity is paramount'.

I live in Pensacola and over time I find myself being drawn further and further offshore in quest of blue water, less traffic, and more interesting dives. The obvious downside to this lure is we are venturing into deeper and deeper water, further from help (proximity to land), and are nearing the end of comfortable rec limits w/o some changes in both dive and boat configuration. My wife is my dive buddy and she is uncomfortable w/ deco dives, but from my experiences and readings, I have come to the conclusion that any dive past 40-50 ft is a deco dive. The 'NDL time' on my computer is a misnomer. Anyway, I digress ....

It seems to me that if you run your 'inflator hose restraining bungee loop' thru your D ring, it could hamper (un)clipping off your other gear (accidently clipping thru the bungee as well as the D) and this also puts the bungee loop in a vertical plane while the inflator hose is on the vertical plane too, so you have to twist one or the other to insert the hose. Can the bungee loop just ride around the webbing above the d ring or does that get too sloppy?

Does the bungee cord around the inflator hose require 2 hands to remove the hose for venting or do you get adept at one hand removal/insertion? Is SOP to use the back vent for most venting?

I dive a vest style bc which I think you guys lovingly refer to as the poodle.?. My inflator hose spends a great deal of time flopping around my left shoulder blade so I always know where it is :06: . On several hundred dives, it's never caused a problem, well, not a major problem, but it can get irritating searching around for it. I once experimented w/ using a velcro pad on the hose and shoulder pad, but it interfered w/ access to the D ring I installed. Your config seems to address all my issues except the questions above.

Thanks.

skipperbrown@yahoo.com:
Does the bungee cord around the inflator hose require 2 hands to remove the hose for venting or do you get adept at one hand removal/insertion? Is SOP to use the back vent for most venting?

Thanks.

You do not remove the hose from the bungee at all. Because it is retained by bungee it can still be used/lifted to vent.

The only time I use it to dump air is on descent from the surface. Once horizontal I use the rear pull dump the entire dive.

skipperbrown@yahoo.com:
I'm new to your configuration so bear with me. I see a lot of common sense in your methods and several 'gee, why didn't I think of that?' and I really like the lingere concept of 'less is more' and 'brevity is paramount'.

I live in Pensacola and over time I find myself being drawn further and further offshore in quest of blue water, less traffic, and more interesting dives. The obvious downside to this lure is we are venturing into deeper and deeper water, further from help (proximity to land), and are nearing the end of comfortable rec limits w/o some changes in both dive and boat configuration. My wife is my dive buddy and she is uncomfortable w/ deco dives, but from my experiences and readings, I have come to the conclusion that any dive past 40-50 ft is a deco dive. The 'NDL time' on my computer is a misnomer. Anyway, I digress ....

It seems to me that if you run your 'inflator hose restraining bungee loop' thru your D ring, it could hamper (un)clipping off your other gear (accidently clipping thru the bungee as well as the D) and this also puts the bungee loop in a vertical plane while the inflator hose is on the vertical plane too, so you have to twist one or the other to insert the hose. Can the bungee loop just ride around the webbing above the d ring or does that get too sloppy?

I dive a vest style bc which I think you guys lovingly refer to as the poodle.?. My inflator hose spends a great deal of time flopping around my left shoulder blade so I always know where it is :06: . On several hundred dives, it's never caused a problem, well, not a major problem, but it can get irritating searching around for it. I once experimented w/ using a velcro pad on the hose and shoulder pad, but it interfered w/ access to the D ring I installed. Your config seems to address all my issues except the questions above.

Thanks.
You don't remove the bungee to vent...Try to use the Rear dump, but the is enough hose through the bungee to vent (IF your shoulder D-Ring is in the right place...If its too low it might be a problem.)

And no you cant move the bungee "up" the webbing. If you do, it violates the reason for why it was there in the first place....ie "Where is my inflator hose...oh...Its right there"

OK, that all makes sense. Obviously to vent your bc on ascent from the back dump you must be maintaining your 'hover' position on your way up rather than a vertical posture.

Next question: Can you get all the air out of the wing in this position if only one side of the wing has the vent? It seems like you would have trapped gas on the side of the wing w/o the vent unless you rolled your body to move the air in the wing to the 'uphill' vent side. What am I missing? I use my back dump when descending or adjusting trim and I have to roll slightly and dip my head to expel the last bubble out of my bc. Are you doing the same manuver or have to figured out how to save the motion?

BTW, I appreciate your patience in helping me understand. In a way it's just reapplying skills in a different manner.

FWIW - I prefer surgical tubing to bungee ... it's stretchier, for those times when I do use the inflator hose to vent, but still keeps it in close to your body when not in use.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom