Aluminium Sherpa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hit a flea market the other day, and found a collapsable wheeled cart that looks big enough to hold my gear with 2 tanks. I think I might upgrade it with some more substantial wheels, but it might save me from doing the pack-mule carry anymore. I can't wait to try it out, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what it looks like after a dive-season worth of adjustments and add-ons.

If nothing else, it keeps the tanks from rolling around in the back of my car.

I have been looking for something like that seeing as my boyfriend sherpa is out of the picture - but I was afraid of the ridicule. Ya know, seems like you are expected to lug tanks around to get respect. Seems smart to put wheels under them to me! Curious to know how it works out for you.

If it works, and anyone ridicules it, I can only assume they're jealous. If I'm going to be respected for something, I'd prefer it not be my ability to carry gear, you know?

... you'll finally be able to do Halibut Point without panting like a dog by the time you get there? Lucky! I'd love to dive it again, but there's no way I'm lugging those LP95s the 1/4mi to the site and the 1/2mi back afterwards... Hey, here's an idea! You can RENT it to people. Just sit at the parking area there with a sign. $5 per head while you sit and relax, enjoying the fresh sea air...

For sure. I hate having to lug heavy stuff around. I'm tired before I even get to the water sometimes.

Boat dives! Hmm... I wonder why I don't dive off a boat more often.. Oh yeah! I remember now... Haven't had a raise in a couple of years. I knew there was a reason :)

last time, I even carried all my gear and an extra tank across a parking lot, down a ramp, and to the boat, then back up the now much steeper ramp, back across the lot and loaded the car. As far as I can tell, unless I'm parking right next to the entry point I'm moving my gear either way. I don't mind it, but a cart will make the longer hauls a lot nicer.

...how the ramp always seems steeper coming back? No matter what the tide is? But boat dives are great. Too bad I only managed to get out on a boat once this year. Should be much better next year, though; already got deposits in on two trips, a week in Bonaire in Jan. with a few 1-tank boat dives thrown in there and 5 full days on NC wrecks in June. Should be fun!

-Roman.

So, Matt, how's the sherpa working out?

Not bad.

There are a couple of modifications I want to make, but they can wait for winter. Generally though, it holds two tanks and most of the rest of my gear no problem.

Back
Top Bottom