Aluminum or Steel Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first dive with a steel was an interesting experience.
I got all suited up and in the water. While i was bobbing about waitng to descend i noticed that i was tipping backwards a little. No biggie i thought, i'll just correct for it. Once i was under water.... Flip, on my back going straight down :shocked: A very interesting experience in zero vis:wink:. Thankfully i was only in 10 ft of water and landed tank down on the bottom. Up we go. Got to the surface and played around a little to get used to the tank, next descent much better. I like the steel much better, the bouyancy/trim is just different.

Hi,

Just curious, but I was wondering how much a steel tanks costs? I'm a new diver and I find the rental tanks a bit too tall. (I'm just 5' 2) I saw aluminum tanks at a local dive shop for $250 here in Ottawa. Also, does anyone find it more difficult to walk around with a steel tank vs. aluminum when wearing all your gear? I'm still getting used to negotiating the extra weight.

Thanks!

The steel is actually easier to walk around with, because it's shorter and lighter.

At 4' 10" both are difficult for me to walk around in, but it is nice to have less weight in the belt! Once you get used to the trim, the steel tanks are preferable!

Got rid of all my (6) aluminum tanks this spring and picked up 6 steel tanks. (2) 72 cu. ft; (4) 80 cu. ft. I was able to take 5 lb. off my weight belt with the steel tanks. Even with the 72's which are lighter than the 80's. With a steel tank, 2 piece 7 mm wetsuit with 5 mm hood and 3 mm gloves, can get by with 16 lb in ditchable pockets of the B.C. Great not having all that weight. Love those steel tanks
montyb

Just for grins & giggles:
http://www.omsdive.com/cyl_spec.html

I'm not endorsing OMS tanks (or Fabers) over PST. Just providing specs re: relative height to diameter. Most (Luxfer and Catalina) aluminum 80s are 7.25" in diameter, as are aluminum 63s, for comparison. Aluminum 50s are 6.9" in diameter. Compare to the steels here. A short steel tank such as the OMS66 at 7" in diameter would be thinner than an 80 or 63, and much shorter. Check the swing weight as well.

You would likely be happier with a steel tank. Shorter, lighter, better weight characteristics. As with most other preferable things in life, steel tanks cost on the average at least double what aluminum tanks cost. Go figure.

OTOH, decent used steel tanks come up from time to time, put the word out and see what happens... Hope this helps.

OTOH:
I like a short tank and dive a steel PST hp 80. Its dimensions are: 7.25 x 19.75 and it weighs only 25 lbs. I’m slim and only need 2 lbs of additional weight in my 3mm wetsuit. I was able to find a used pair of them for about half the price new.

I have the Luxfer neutral bouyant steel tanks. I love them. I have always had problems with bouyancy. I would be having a great dive and then all of a sudden I would just start floating to the surface. Not a good thing. Since buying my own steel tanks and upgrading my old BCD to the Diva LX I have been able to drop from 20#s of weight to 14 #s wearing a 3mm wetsuit. I also no longer float to the surface like I did with the alum. 80s. I really like the BCD as I no longer have to wear the weight belt and can distribute my weights between the pockets and the tank which I think helps greatly.
Zuzanne

I switched from AL80 to Steel 100's this year... 5'10".. NJ diver.. (colder, deeper, dry suit diving) Love them now.. but trim & weight adjustments were needed.. spent a day playing at the quarry first.. I was glad I did

Dive with rental steel tanks before buying.. see what works for you.. Steel tanks are about twice as expensive as AL.

I chose HP steel 100's for my tanks for several reasons. Unlike most females for some reason I seem to use my air up faster than them. My friends that I dive with do alot of diving together and almost all use steel HP tanks. I also, in salt water have a real bouyant problem, especially if adding in an AL tank. With the steel tanks I can dive with 10lbs of weight and with Al 80 now I can get by with 14lbs.

Since, most of my dives tend to be anywhere from 45min to 55 min. long I can comfortable dive and not worry about running low on air, where as when I had an AL 80 I would only make about 35 min. Now, that was in my first year of diving so I now have much better air consumption. July I did dive in Roatan with AL tanks and I had no problems making 50 to 55 min dives. I never returned to the boat with less than 700 and on a few still had over 1000. The only good thing I can say about the steel now for me is making my bouyancy problem not a problem. But, I hate the return onto a boat with my steel tanks weight. It is harder and a lot of weight to pull up onto the boat. It does require a little assistance from above to help most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom