Aluminum plate corrosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuckitall

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a complete Apeks WTX Harness, aluminum plate, system that is a great BC. I have everything together with Stainless screws and washers, but at the connection to the plate I’m getting severe corrosion. I know dissimilar metals cause this, but what do tech divers use to stop all of the corrosion. Yes all salt eater diving. I know Dive Rite makes a SS plate with a lot of cutouts to avoid weight, but the Apeks plate came with system. This also has the Police Diver Wing and all grommets appear to be SS. READY TO PUT BACK TOGETHER, BUT WANT TO TRY TO SLOW OR AVOID THIS PROBLEM.

I don't have an Al plate, but I'd probably use aluminum hardware or bolt a zinc (sacrificial anode) to the plate. Or just get a new one when the damage develops into a real problem.

Bob

Tef-gel. Coat the interface where your dissimilar metals touch. When I finally discovered it on the Spree, it was magic. Specifically for where stainless fasteners touch aluminum plate. Be sure you clean all of the aluminum oxide scale from the plate. Ospho if it's stubborn. TEF-GEL - Ultra safety systems - Home page

Give Angie a big smooch from me.

Do you rinse it well enough after diving with it? Here is another thought.

I use these delrin nuts rather than stainless wingnuts and washers
DGX 5/16-18 Delrin Thumbwheel Nuts, Set of Two
Main reason I use them is to stop wingnuts digging into my drysuit, but they don't need washers, so that's one main point of contact you don't need to worry about.
If you rinse your gear in fresh water, AND STORE DISASSEMBLED, I'd be surprised if it became an issue.

i use nylon washers between the SS bolt/screw head and SS nuts. I may get a little oxidation where the SS threads may contact the aluminum plate but it is self limiting.

I use a stainless steel plate. No nasty corrosion.

I found the discarded aluminum 1/4 inch plate stock. I'm not sure my tools would have been able to cut SS. DIY
Want more, holla holla. I got a ton of 1/4". That's a damn thick plate. I think it's usually gauge metal.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom