Am I good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all, we cannot tell you. Your doctor needs to okay that. I've seen guys that thought they were in perfect shape get banned for eardrum issues they forgot about when they were a kid. :wink: The bottom line is your doctor should know all the right questions and what to look for in your medical history.

Ok will do. Do all instructors request that I get a physical from a doc? I went on the website that I plan getting Cert. off of and it gives me medicals papers but its really just questions to me?

I also want to go to the springs down here.. there is so many and I have been to a few. I understand that some of them get freezing cold.. can rented equipment work in both cold and warm enviroments or must I request a certain type??

Ok will do. Do all instructors request that I get a physical from a doc? I went on the website that I plan getting Cert. off of and it gives me medicals papers but its really just questions to me?

I also want to go to the springs down here.. there is so many and I have been to a few. I understand that some of them get freezing cold.. can rented equipment work in both cold and warm enviroments or must I request a certain type??

If your cert agency is just asking you medical questions, then I couldn't answer you with 100% accuracy. Since you are 15, your parent or guardian must sign too. But even if you guys are not required to see your family physician, do it. Circumventing any of this is not a wise choice. Make prudent decisions as you venture into the safe and fun sport of SCUBA diving. If you push the envelope, it can bite. So, as everyone is telling you, go get your cert., but do it safely. At 15, you have decades to dive. Once you get your O/W cert, and a few dives under your belt, go to the Advanced O/W as was suggested. Also, RJP makes a great point. If your LDS is going to give you usage of their gear for 60 days, take them up on it. That's a good deal.

PatW makes a great point too. Solo diving has its place, and I do it. But I have quite a lot of redundant gear. I've been diving for 25 years, and still learning. Every instructor will teach you buddy diving, and I would suggest this to you for quite some time. Anyway, diving with a buddy or team is really fun.

So, what is cold to you? I live in the Northeast, and it is cold. Very cold. At a point that divers decide whether to use regulators that are closed to the enviroment or not, and drysuits. I don't think the springs get that cold, but ask questions and find out. Remember, no overhead enviroments in the springs. You need to be certified for any type of cave diving if that is what you have on your mind. Shipwrecks are similar. They are fun, but can be very dangerous. Work your way up by taking these specialty courses.

You are going to meet a lot of really cool people in diving. Dive within your limits and have a great time. If your whole family is going to get certified, they may split you up in class. We did this often, and people would get upset. They do this so one diver is not always the 'leader' and another is the 'follower.' Each one of you will need to learn your skills independently. This is done for safety. Keep us posted on your progress.

Safe diving to you.

AFAIK, every agency/instructor has a basic medical/physical clearance. It can be filled by the student in some cases, but I always suggest a (new) student take it to their doctor to be safe.

Springs are generally 72°. (I'm here in FL too) The gear will work in generally all the conditions you are talking about. The difference will come into play with the type of diving decide to do. (ie: cavern, cave, pen wreck, deep, etc.)

You weigh 250# at 15?

Really?

As young as you are you would probably be ok with any activity. Scuba included.

But consider other forms of aerobic sport as well.

Without a true lifestyle change you will most likely continue to gain weigh. And that weight will hamper future activity.

It's true SCUBA is the "Extreme Sport" of the morbidly obese.

But there is no reason to follow that notion.

Be a shining example.

You weigh 250# at 15?

Really?

That advice holds true for most people regardless of age or weight.

Come on in, the water's fine!

...and ignore the comments about your size.

Some are just jealous that they still have to shop in the "boys" department instead of the "mens". Little guys are like that.

The fact that you are asking "am I ok" tells me you have something in your head that you may not be ok. What are your concerns? Is it physical fitness or prior medical conditions? What do your parents say?

The fact that you are concerned as to whether or not you are "good" to dive raises some concerns. Based on your height and weight I would say yes. On the other hand, I don't know you and wonder if your parents feel otherwise based on your maturity or some health condition that you have not mentioned.

For what it is worth, I started diving at 9 and was certified at age 13. If there are health concerns, please go see a doctor. If there are other parental concerns, speak with your family.

Assuming that you get certified at age 15, you will be able to do open water diving. Wait on purchasing equipment until you know that you enjoy the sport, then ask expereinced divers lots of questions to determine what you should buy.

Although you are near cave country, you will not be doing any cave diving for a while as this is technical diving. Generally the industry standards for taking these classes require that you are at least 18.

I looked over the PADI Medical sheet myself and I did not check any problems that I have had. I am just asking this because I wanted to know if there was any hidden stuff, doubt there would of been cause its Scuba Diving but you know.

And yeah I am a big guy for my age. At 6' 3'' you wont even guess I weigh that much but I get pretty much all of it from weightlifting.

You weigh 250# at 15?

Really?

Without a true lifestyle change you will most likely continue to gain weigh. And that weight will hamper future activity.

It's true SCUBA is the "Extreme Sport" of the morbidly obese.

But there is no reason to follow that notion.

Be a shining example.

You did see the 6'3" portion of his statement, right? While 250 isn't small for someone 6'3 it's not generally considered huge and there's a big difference between a 250# wall of muscle and a 250# barrel of fat.

He's likely still growing at 15, as you said, but to jump to the conclusion that he's obese, or even likely to be, is a bit premature without further information.

Back
Top Bottom