Amazon Hits Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

QLittlestar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Everybody

I would like to dive in Thailand but I did not bring my equipment. I had just purchased a brand new Zeagle before I left for my trip (I am doing a RTW thats why I could not bring it). I am looking for a dive center that is really good with beginners (or should I say dummies). I found that most of the people I know that are certified never go out without an instructor and would never say rent tanks and go with a buddy even people that are advanced. I am just SCUBA certified because I want to know the ins and outs of SCUBA as I get more advanced so I will feel comfortable with a buddy. One problem is I am a big woman with an even BIGGER chest (why I have my own BC), whats the likelihood of me finding a bc that fits in Thailand? Should I have my own stuff sent to me in Thailand? Will I need my wetsuit as well? Fins I should be able to get as I wear mens sizes (I would love pink fins in a mans 10). Any help would be wonderful, I can't wait to see Thailand, everybody tells me I won't leave.

Thanks
Quinnette:10:

Where in Thailand are you going to?

Whereever I can find that course for dummies.

Q

Although i hearing Ko tao and Samui have less tourist and smaller dive ops. And where do you go for the full moon party? Is either of these places close?

Q

At any of the big spots (Ko Tao/Phuket/etc, etc) you will find shops which cater to your needs.

For western visitors, a 2-3mm shorty is normal, which you can rent (or will come included in the course for usage). If you are in Phuket, I can suggest a shop where you can have a custom made (i.e. fitted to YOU) wetsuit, which you could take with you are mail home after you've finished diving.

Koh Samui is a good lauch spot for the full moon party. It's pretty close to there and Koh Samui is such a awesome place to visit out of all the islands. I've been to about a dozen islands all over the world and this is my favoriate so far. Full Moon Party is a definate though...make sure you plan your trip around this. Its easy to buy tickets for it right there on Koh Samui.

PM if you have any detailed questions. I can give you the complete low down on the place.

Is the water temp similar to the caribbean? In my hand ful of dives, I have never worn anything more than skins, but usually just shorts or skins. OK so Ko Tao or Samui is that spot it sounds like I want to be, now I just have to find that class for dummies.

Thanks y'all
Q

When are you leaving? Another consideration is the monsoon season. If you're thinking of taking that trip over Nov to Mar to Koi Samui, you'll probably be dancing in the full moon party in a soaking wet t-shirt. And the sea conditions make for some very bumpy rides.

Water temperature is quite warm.. some divers skip wetsuits altogether and just go inshorts/t-shirts.

Plenty of dummies in Phuket too... its a great place to do courses.

I'd say at least take your wetsuit if you're a hard to find size. As for BCD and others, I would presume you could fit into a men's large/xlarge? If anything, I find that the shops in the major Asian dive areas (such as Thailand) will have rental equipment more on the larger size to accomodate big foreigners. Usually it's the opposite (petite sizes) that might be harder to find...

Have fun...

Have worn a rash vest diving all year here in Phuket and water temp similar to Caribbean (from what I can remember anyway - i have dived in Cuba and Mexico). The four day open water course I am sure will be adequate to meet your diving needs, the PADI course is performance based so there is no rush in getting things sorted or finished, you learn at your own rate with a patient and professional Instructor (like me :) )
James

Back
Top Bottom