Ambergris in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For whatever reason TIR is by far the most popular of the three atoll resorts on this board with Turneffe Flats a somewhat distant second. I seem to recall a Blackbird review here but it was a few years ago. One big advantage for Blackbird is that they have a landing strip so you can fly in from the mainland, skipping the hour and a half boat ride out to the caye and back.

So it will be up to you to enlighten us as to all Blackbird has to offer. Please write a review when you get back and don't forget to add some photos both topside and down under. Have a great trip!

Just back from Belize, Ambergris Cay, in April.
For Blue Hole Trip, an all day trip with 3 dives,
we used Amigos De Mar and had no concerns.
They are just a few docks down from Eco Divers, which didn't have any trips to meet our schedule.
Enjoy.

We're really looking forward to Thatch Caye now, with one lingering doubt before making the deposit -- no air conditioning in the room. Island breezes and fans would have to take care of the heat at night in mid-June. Does anyone have any input on how uncomfortable it can be at night in June in Belize, especially for people not used to sleeping without air conditioning in the heat??!!

I've been to Thatch Caye many times, working dive teaching and helping to set up their dive operation there (though I haven't been back for two or three years). They do, or did then, have AC available in some of their more upmarket cabins. I had A/C available quite often, but never felt the need or desire to turn it on. The sea breeze is usually superb, as all the cabins are on platforms partly over the water. Have no concerns over A/C.

Peter - you're right in that A/C was offered for some of their accommodations in the past - but I confirmed that it's not an option now. You're also probably right that we would have been ok with sea breezes, but I chickened out. It does look like a phenominally beautiful location and great operation. Maybe we'll end up there another time. We've just sent our reservation form in to Blackbird Caye. It will be interesting to see if we end up using their A/C !

If you do the Blue Hole, take a 1 day trip...I found the 2 dives on the Turneffe much better than the Blue Hole in itself with great walls, uge loggerhead turtles, sharks etc. Comparing to the HolChan (that is quite ok), it cannot be compared.

I lived on Ambergris with no AC (aircon) for over a year. If you're right on the water, it's cooler. Go a mile or more inland and it's quite a bit hotter.

Thatch Caye/Coco Plum is probably the most conveniently located spot. You're only a 10 minute boatride from "Water" (Southwater) Caye, which is only 15 miles from Glovers. Tobacco, Gran Channel, 6th Cut.....5th Cut (that's what I call them on my GPS) have nice diving and are all close. And it's only a 30 minute boatride to the mainland and another 45 min to an hour drive up to Caves Branch. From Dangriga it's only about 25 minutes to the Jaguar Reserve too.

Placencia is very nice but it's far from the reef. Even farther if your resort is on the northern end of the lagoon. If I were going to Placencia, I would just stay there and dive.

Back
Top Bottom