America's lost H-bomb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it still could be used to make a dirty bomb or the core might still be good to rebuild a new bomb that plutonium has a shelf life of about 10000 yrs

Isn't this a Broken Arrow?
What was that line? I don't know what's scarier, losing nuclear weapons, or that it happens so often there's actually a term for it. or something like that.

SeaJay's real name isn't Geraldo is it?

:rofl3:

I thought America's lost H-bomb was in Al Capone's vault.

We're just releasing "America's Lost H Bomb" on DVD! Check out lost-h-bomb.com... we'd love to hear from some Scuba folks! We've set up a blog.. the show features lots of SCUBA footage.. including some Navy Seals etc..

Fortunately, the triggers were made of material that can have a half life of no more than four years (will only produce enough neutrons for detonation for two years). That's why Hanford is still running at full capacity, not because they are making bombs.... they're not. They're making triggers for the current stokpile.... that are never placed into the device until they are deployed into the field.

Actually, the bomb is not actually missing.

I found it and it is in my garage with all my spoons, china, porthole and other artifacts I have recovered.

I am kind of hoping it is dead by now.

I thought SeaJay found it? :D

From a news paper:

In addition to the primary nuclear capsule, the bomb also harbored a secondary nuclear explosive, or sparkplug, designed to make it go thermo. This is a hollow plug about an inch in diameter made of either plutonium or highly enriched uranium (the Pentagon has never said which) that is filled with fusion fuel, most likely lithium-6 deuteride. Lithium is highly reactive in water. The plutonium in the bomb was manufactured at the Hanford Nuclear Site in Washington State and would be the oldest in the United States. That's bad news: Plutonium gets more dangerous as it ages. In addition, the bomb would contain other radioactive materials, such as uranium and beryllium.

The bomb is also charged with 400 pounds of TNT, designed to cause the plutonium trigger to implode and thus start the nuclear explosion. As the years go by, those high explosives are becoming flaky, brittle and sensitive. The bomb is most likely now buried in 5 to 15 feet of sand and slowly leaking radioactivity into the rich crabbing grounds of the Wassaw Slough. If the Pentagon can't find the Tybee Island bomb, others might. That's the conclusion of Bert Soleau, a former CIA officer who now works with ASSURE, the salvage company. Soleau, a chemical engineer, said that it wouldn't be hard for terrorists to locate the weapon and recover the lithium, beryllium and enriched uranium, "the essential building blocks of nuclear weapons." What to do? Coastal residents want the weapon located and removed. "Plutonium is a nightmare and their own people know it," said Pam O'Brien, an anti-nuke organizer from Douglassville, Georgia. "It can get in everything--your eyes, your bones, your go------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom