America's lost H-bomb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone else wonder, while watching this, why they sent 3 divers in zero vis to try to find by touch a bomb that they believed was buried in 5-15' of silt? Not sure if it was just bad editing not explaining the scope of the dive operation or something similar, but they didn't even seem to be using basic search and recovery / archaeology techniques or the equipment that's available out there. After watching it I wasn't too suprised they didn't find the damn thing =/

I don't know what you are inferring or talking about, I guess because I was not asleep in the back of the class with you.

N

Umm . . . He is not inferring, you are.

Anyone else wonder, while watching this, why they sent 3 divers in zero vis to try to find by touch a bomb that they believed was buried in 5-15' of silt? Not sure if it was just bad editing not explaining the scope of the dive operation or something similar, but they didn't even seem to be using basic search and recovery / archaeology techniques or the equipment that's available out there. After watching it I wasn't too suprised they didn't find the damn thing =/

You noticed that too? And in such crappy weather . . .

Umm . . . He is not inferring, you are.

No, perhaps you were asleep in the back of the class on the day inferences were discussed with the other fellow---now I am inferring.

Between career paths, I taught HS science including physics, was that you I told to put your head down and never look up again?

N

No, perhaps you were asleep in the back of the class on the day inferences were discussed with the other fellow---now I am inferring.

Between career paths, I taught HS science including physics, was that you I told to put your head down and never look up again?

N

Yep, that was me.... lolol but I kept on listening with my big ol' ears!!!

Take it easy NIMROD, no one is attacking you. I'm Just trying to get the facts straight my friend...

NOTE: After listening to NPR's 50th anniversary broadcast, it seems the Air force did not arm any Mark 15 atomic weapon with triggers during training flights or at any other time during their deployment.... Therefore, if no triggers, then there are no explosives to go BOOM!!!! so the whole thread seems to be moot :)

There is NO CHANCE of that material EVER EVER EVER going high order.... NOT EVER!

BOOM!!

P.S. I like the Idea of putting it on the Iranians.
BTW, I wonder why they didn't send some P3 Orions over to find it... or did they?

Last edited:
QUOTE=Nemrod;4871275]...The bomb is most likely now buried in 5 to 15 feet of sand and slowly leaking radioactivity into the rich crabbing grounds of the Wassaw Slough.[/QUOTE]

One word folks.... GODZILLA! :nuke:

Let's think about this a minute...

Lost nuke at the bottom of the ocean, subjected to salt water corrosion for over fifty years, possibly leaching hazardous radioactive waste into the water.

I don't know about the rest of you, but were I on a team trying to locate and evaluate the potential for recovering said nuke, I wouldn't be diving atop where I thought it might be. Radiation can have some really nasty effects on the human body, and my inclination would be to use remote submersibles with cameras to try and locate it, rather than risk radiation sickness or cancer from exposure to a leaking bomb.

Documentaries aside, my own personal opinion is, if they're diving for it, they're fairly certain they're NOT in the right location. At least, I wouldn't risk radiation poisoning for the sake of filming a documentary about a missing bomb.

Yep, that was me.... lolol but I kept on listening with my big ol' ears!!!

Take it easy NIMROD, no one is attacking you. I'm Just trying to get the facts straight my friend...

NOTE: After listening to NPR's 50th anniversary broadcast, it seems the Air force did not arm any Mark 15 atomic weapon with triggers during training flights or at any other time during their deployment.... Therefore, if no triggers, then there are no explosives to go BOOM!!!! so the whole thread seems to be moot :)

There is NO CHANCE of that material EVER EVER EVER going high order.... NOT EVER!

BOOM!!

P.S. I like the Idea of putting it on the Iranians.
BTW, I wonder why they didn't send some P3 Orions over to find it... or did they?

:confused:

First, it is Nemrod, not Nimrod, second, I never said it might detonate, I am simply concerned about a missing plutonium bomb laying feral on the bottom off a populated coast and fertile fishing and recreation areas.

I went to HS my last year at (on second thought), Georgia, I recall discussing this in HS biology class, the teacher had all sorts of material on it, he also had a summer home down there, we all took a field trip down there (nothing to do with the bomb), we collected shells and played. None of us came home glowing.

As to it being armed or not, there is conflicting information including that from the men flying the aircraft. Like I said, I don't believe the government on anything, it is called healthy skepticism, I believe our founding fathers warned us to not believe the government. :idk:

N

Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject but, does anyone know how wide spread of a disaster complete leeching would have on the oceans in general? I assume that the currents would pick it up any leeching and dilute it across the path having the greatest impact at the site of the leeching.

Are we looking at ground water contamination here or isolated contamination at the site of the bomb which would affect only the immediate area?

Back
Top Bottom