Amigos Del Mar vs. Protech Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bagheera

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to Ambergris Caye in three weeks, and I can't decide on which dive shop I'm going with. They say that Amigos del Mar and Protech Belize are the two best, so I'll dive with one of those two. But which one is best for an inexperienced diver like me?

I haven't dove in the last two years. I learned to dive in Kuwait and got my PADI Advanced Open Water cert., but I logged only about 20 dives before I left Kuwait and took a break from diving.

So I'm looking for divemasters that are used to working with new divers. I really want to avoid angering advanced divers by some mistake I make, or getting a bad divemaster who doesn't have the patience for newbies. An example:

I think the worst experience I ever had was at a dive shop in Beirut. My friend and I had done only 5 dives each in Kuwait, but the captain insisted on taking us out with four technical divers. We went just past 30 meters deep in 5 meters of vis to look at a wreck, even though it was obvious that neither of us had dove that deep or seen a wreck before. The divemaster was pissed that we couldn't stay down as long as him, and later the boat captain insisted that we give him both our BC's and our fins before he would lower the ladder into the water (this in the middle of two-foot swells).

I really don't want to repeat that experience. It's a case where the divemaster might be incredibly talented, but doesn't know how to handle beginner divers. Do either Amigos or Protech have a reputation for being good or bad with inexperienced divers like me?

Just got back from Belize and diving with Protech. This was my second trip this year to Belize and diving with them. Also did a day trip to Turneffe with Amigos. I think you would be pleased with either. Israel a DM with Protech did a great job with my mother and father in law who hadn't dove in about 9 years. Protech also seems to go out with smaller groups so you get more personal attention if needed.

Wyatt is right.

You wouldn't go wrong diving with either. There's a nice thing about diving on a small island like Ambergris, A poorly run dive shop won't last long as the word will soon get out.

Amigo's is large, Protech is small. You would be well taken care of by both. Earlier this month my wife and I recently completed our third trip to Ambergris. During our first trip in 2005, like Wyatt, we dove with Protech for local diving and with Amigo's for the all day Atoll trips. They have a large Pro48 which made the day trips much more comfortable.

In 2006, as well as our most recent trip we utilized the services of Protech. Peter Jones, the owner, and his shop took extremely good care of us while we were there. On several days he dove with us, and on one belizean holiday, he dove, giving the rest of his shop the day off. We had 2-6 divers on our boat each day, and during the week, his shop worked really hard to keep "like" divers together and diving in the same groups. Either shop will provide "pickup" off any of the local docks in San Pedro.

Enjoy the food, the beer, the diving and the Sunshine. :42: Ken

I don't think you can go wrong with either one too! I can't comment on ProDive as I haven't used them before, but at Amigos, they asked my level of experience on Day 1, and then put me into a group that's obviously with "unknown skillset". There were 2 DMs to 6 Divers in that group so you'll get looked after. After diving with them for a couple of days they automatically moved me into the "advance" group. You can tell because in this group the DM would suggest going to more "difficult" sites, like sites with tight swim throughs. All of this grouping is done very non-obtrusively.

AC diving is very easy - usually recent vis with almost none to moderate currents. You shouldn't have a problem - enjoy your stay!

We used Amigos Del Mar after trying multiple times to book with ProTech. Protech never returned my emails. Amigos Del Mar was a very good dive op.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom