An American's Guide to Diving in (Western) Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which is completely off linits to any one not a member of ARGE Blautopf.
With a proven track record in spelunking and cave diving and after putting in some seroius grunt work
Sounds like the German way... I won't lose sleep over it, but that'd be nice.

Sounds like the German way... I won't lose sleep over it, but that'd be nice.
well, Jochen Hasenmayer did invite Sheck Excley on a dive, so there is hope :wink:
On of the unfortunate truths is that without restricting access there would be real damage to the cave and eco system, as one can witness in some other of the great caves on Schwäbische Alb.

Haha!

You are right, they do have to limit access. Maintaining the environment is more important than our hobby. You'd think they'd have a rotation or something to allow a greater number of people to access it, just less often. At any rate, I suppose it never hurts to ask.

Another question I have for anyone interested in helping... Do most people dive with drysuits in Europe, France, etc.? I know in places around the Mediterranean I could use a wetsuit, but I'll also be diving in France, Central Europe, and Scandinavia.

I'm (hopefully) taking a drysuit course soon because my impression is that it's pretty necessary in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

Another question I have for anyone interested in helping... Do most people dive with drysuits in Europe, France, etc.? I know in places around the Mediterranean I could use a wetsuit, but I'll also be diving in France, Central Europe, and Scandinavia.

I'm (hopefully) taking a drysuit course soon because my impression is that it's pretty necessary in Germany and elsewhere in Europe.

I dive with a drysuit in continental Portugal and Spain. I would have been more confortable with one in the Baron Gautsch in Croatia last September.

Alright, that's a good indicator, thanks. I've been to Spain and Croatia, and remember the climate and such. Looks like my wetsuit won't get wet much!

I would say for most serious divers, it's typically a drysuit unless diving the Med in 20+ degrees (C) waters.

Alright, thanks!

I dive with a drysuit in continental Portugal and Spain. I would have been more confortable with one in the Baron Gautsch in Croatis last September.

Atlantic side of continental Portugal and Spain. Not Iberian east coast.

I am familiar with using the metric system, and I actually prefer some of it (length/distance, especially). I find some others to be too imprecise (Celcius, bar). I will definitely need to learn bar, as all of the diving calculations that come with rule of thirds, turn pressure, etc. will be completely different numbers. That will avoid the hand sign confusion...
The needle on your SPG will move just as fast in Europe as it would on your side of the pond. The only difference is the scale on the paper behind the needle.

But.....we use metric handsignals over here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom