An ancient forest found 60 feet underwater about 10 miles offshore of Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tdmp

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool:

MOBILE, Ala. — An ancient forest found 60 feet underwater about 10 miles offshore of Alabama is much older than originally thought.
Al.com collected samples of the trees during a scuba diving expedition to the forest. Those samples were sent to the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for radiocarbon dating and found to be more than 50,000 years old.
Scientists who examined the trees remarked on how well preserved the wood was. Cut into a piece and the unmistakable aroma of newly sawn cypress blooms up, despite millennia spent at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.
Some of the pieces still had bark on them. The forest was apparently buried under a thick layer of sand for eons until it was uncovered by giant waves during Hurricane Katrina.
Ancient Underwater Forest Much Older Than First Thought - weather.com

Here's some video:

Ancient forest lies 10 miles off the Alabama coast (video, gallery) | al.com

Would love the opportunity to see that before it rots away.

That is very cool. I am going to have to find someone who will go there, since this guy wants to show everyone but not tell anyone.

Sounds pretty cool:

MOBILE, Ala. — An ancient forest found 60 feet underwater about 10 miles offshore of Alabama is much older than originally thought.
Al.com collected samples of the trees during a scuba diving expedition to the forest. Those samples were sent to the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for radiocarbon dating and found to be more than 50,000 years old.
Scientists who examined the trees remarked on how well preserved the wood was. Cut into a piece and the unmistakable aroma of newly sawn cypress blooms up, despite millennia spent at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.
Some of the pieces still had bark on them. The forest was apparently buried under a thick layer of sand for eons until it was uncovered by giant waves during Hurricane Katrina.
Ancient Underwater Forest Much Older Than First Thought - weather.com

Here's some video:

Ancient forest lies 10 miles off the Alabama coast (video, gallery) | al.com

Really cool dive. I love the historical, or should I say the pre-historical signifigance of the site.

Except I don't think posting it on :sblogo: is the best way to keep the site hidden for the public.

I just hope that the general public does not find it or in most likelyhood it will be destroyed by careless divers. :(

Very cool indeed.

Too cool! This is why we dive!

Back
Top Bottom