An argument for always having a snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone once asked me, "if you were on a rapidly sinking dive boat, what would you grab?" After some thought, and assuming a potential long float while waiting for rescue, I suggested grabbing:

1. wetsuit (helps float, protects against exposure)
2. mask and snorkel (helps if the sea gets rough)
3. drinking water

Then worry about the life boat.

So, having a snorkel in close proximity of your dive gear would make sense for this, "should never happen but why not be prepared" situation.

Regards
Peter

I'm not a confrontational guy but I cant leave this one alone....
After our dive boat sinks and I'm sitting up in the lifeboat looking at you floating away in the water, ask me if I want to trade this lifeboat for your snorkel. Dont worry though, after you tire out and start to drift away I will reach out and grab you by the snorkel and pull you back in.

I'll stick to my original plan of already having the foldup in my pocket which is on my wetsuit that I am already wearing and grab that lifeboat. I do like the drinking water idea though. Ok, maybe we were on a live-aboard and I'm not wearing my suit, I'm still securing that life boat first.

Cheers
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/images/smilies/Character Smiles/coffee.gif

Can you stand a question from a newbie? I have snorkeled for many years but am new to diving, doing OW check out this weekend. What's the big deal about wearing a snorkel?

Can you stand a question from a newbie? I have snorkeled for many years but am new to diving, doing OW check out this weekend. What's the big deal about wearing a snorkel?

For me it was a couple of reasons. First It would constantly find itself in funny positions usually twisitng my mask strap and getting into my line of sight...its amazing how finiky they can be when they aren't in your mouth. Second I found myself trying to inflate or deflate my BCD with it. Then I had one of those stupid clips they all come with now and I was spending a lot of time trying not to lose the damn thing.

And finally the first time I decided to descend with it in my mouth instead of the reg was my last time I took it with me:rofl3:. But yeah im a dork :dork2: :crafty:

That's an excellent question which probes the deep mysteries of dive skill, human ego, life philosophy and the art of the internet put-down.

Your question underscores the truth of it....there is no big deal about wearing a snorkel. :D

Just read the opinions and it will become perfectly clear: nothing to worry about either way.

Dave C

1) it serves no purpose at depth, it only works for a very limited portion of the dive

2) it can be a hazard, or distraction, or cause of discomfort in certain conditions

3) if you need it and don't have it you will curse yourself for that.

If you want to dive with one, go for it.

If you do not want to dive with one, leave it behind. A few people here will attack you for whatever decision you make, probably telling you why it will kill you to either keep it or leave it.

In the end do what makes you happy and comfortable.

There is no big deal and many of us prefer to do so. Have a great time and good luck on your check-out dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom