An eel attacking me. (Video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats hilarious! Looks like you were pretty frightened :D
Were you carrying a bag of lobsters or a fish? I have had them come out of their holes and follow me around like that too. When this has happened to me they were interested in the bag of lobsters that I was carrying. I have had them follow me all the way up to the surface. Never had an incident though.

I figure the eel was a friend of the trigger fish, hired for some payback....

From what I could tell from the very shaky video, that was no attack at all. Morays frequently will come out of their holes to check divers out. I've had this happen numerous times in lots of places. Unless you stick your hand out so that it looks like food, you're quite safe, especially if you keep your cam between yourself and the eel.
Keep your cool and hold that cam steady and you might get some footage worth seeing.
Steve:14:

You should have kept the camera pointed at him while you fought him off with your dive knife. They won't tell you this, but that is really what your dive knife is for....:sharkattack:

Seriously though, wow. I've never had the wildlife come at me before like that. Did he make contact with you or did he stop on his own?

:rofl3: no time to take out my knife.
No contact, I was too fast for her. If you watched the end of the video she changed her direction and went some where else.

Thats hilarious! Looks like you were pretty frightened :D
Were you carrying a bag of lobsters or a fish? I have had them come out of their holes and follow me around like that too. When this has happened to me they were interested in the bag of lobsters that I was carrying. I have had them follow me all the way up to the surface. Never had an incident though.

No, I didn't carry any bag. But, that was very scary though :D.

Back
Top Bottom