An expensive education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey MrMrEZG and all,

I don't think it was Roakey that determined that tanks made with the 6351 alloy are safe and appropriate for use. PSI, Luxfer, CGA and OSHA all agree that they ARE safe if a conscientious yearly inspection is done to the inside neck area. An SLC will not become dangerous in a year or even three. It will evidence itself LOOOONG before it becomes a liability. However, vinyl coated steel tanks are FAR MORE LIKELY to pose a threat to a fill station operator and yet no one seems to care. Just ask the poor owner (or his wife) who died week before last, which one is more dangerous. I saw two at one of my LDS just today. I asked when the last time those were vised... one was two years out, the other was three. Both had rust under the vinyl and both had been already filled. The manager was indeed hot, but I feel he need look no further than himself. Sitting next to the front door was a Walter Kiddee tank that had been refused just because of its name. It was a year + out of vis, so we opened her up only to find a pristine tank... no evidence of a crack by vis OR by eddy current and no corrosion either. Now you tell me... did ignorance of what to look for keep the fill station attendant safe? Or was it just dumb luck?

All tanks are prone to failure, by corrosion, impact or SLC. Nature may abhor a vacuum, but she really goes out of her way to vent pressure! We have an agency that was created to deal with the misinformation out there and provide an 18-step method to systematically and properly inspect tanks. Roakey's point may not have been diplomatic, but it was valid. Don't let fear of the unknown make your decisions for you. On the other hand, don't let complacency catch you napping either. Each of these outlooks provides an erroneous view of reality. The truth will indeed set you free... myths can only protect you for so long.

This space intentioanlly left blank, because NetDoc covered my points, though I'd like to add to the list of NetDoc's orginizations The United States Department of Transportation and Canada's Canadian Transportation Commission.

Roak

But I gotta reply to this part:
Originally posted by MrMrEZG
I also would like to point out the fact that he does not fill tanks, I guess he feels that it's a job for the "monkeys"...
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong on both counts, but thanks for playing.

And your insinuation that I don't care if FSOs die from a ruptured cylinder is just plain insulting. :(

Roak

Originally posted by buff
17 failures out of 25 million tanks?......I'll take my "chances".
Just to clarify, Mike.

It's not taking a chance. The 6351 cylinders that let go from SLC were not properly inspected and/or tested. Just like the steel from a few weeks back. In all cases a proper inspection would have found a crack long before any of the 6351 cylinders let go. An alloy is taking the fall for an improper inspection protocol. THIS is why I'm so worked up over this subject. We had an abused steel cylinder fail when it was 5 years out of hydro and a couple years out of visual. It's the steel's fault for failing, right? Wrong!

My point is that shops that refuse 6351 outright either can't, or won't do the job that they're supposedly trained for. Given a PROPER (key word here) inspection there's no more risk associated with a 6351 cylinder than any other vessel you're sticking over 600 tons of pressure into.

Roak

Just to let you guys know, in cave country a Kidde tank will not get filled. We put 4200 PSI in lp tanks fifty times a day, but we do follow warnings.

Roakey-
I often use quotation marks to imply sarcasm(as is proper in the English language) when I said I'll take my "chances" I meant that to imply that there isn't any real danger and I'm not really taking a chance......I'm with you on this matter!!!

Mike

Interesting thread. I've been following this one from the beginning. After asking several dive shops in the area if they would fill a Kidde tank, every one that I asked said no way. I'm not saying this position is right, I'm just telling you guys what I've found. I do think that as cheap as Al. tanks are, I would simply buy another tank to replace the Kidde. Why bother?:tree:Bob

Back
Top Bottom