An issue with mask clearing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I did, hope this helps. Close your eyes, think about it and your breathing and don't rush. Take your time. Good luck!

I did it! I did mask clearing today! Just had to share it with everyone.

After watching the video I have for class I saw what they did and figured it out. I also took pointers from some of you on this site. As I mentioned before, I have been a nose plugger all my life. I had to get used to having that feeling of water up my nose but not in it. So this is what I did, and I hope it helps someone else...

I started by just breathing with a reg and no mask. With the reg that I was using the bubbles were going straight up my nose, so I looked down and they went off to the side. Then I would put on the mask and let in a little water from the top and get used to having some water in it and kept breathing. If it felt like the water was too far up, I would just let a little air out of my nose. When It came to taking the mask all the way off, I would take a deep breath and blow a little air out of my nose at the same time but break the seal of the mask from the top first so water wouldn't rush up my nose from the bottom. Took another deep breath and put the mask up to my face and at the same time blew air out of my nose and looked up at the same time to clear the mask. Took another breath to clear the rest of the water out if needed and then put the strap on. My mistake was that I tryed to put the strap on before I cleared.

I knew I could do it, it was just a matter of figuring out how. Well that's my story and I'm stickn' to it! Thanks everybody for all your tips and encouragement, it helped!
04.gif

Congratulations! I went diving today too and I noticed there was some water in my mask but I also noticed it doesn't seem to bother me when I'm diving...only when I'm practicing. Isn't that funny? Maybe we just think about it too hard. After that, my masked fogged up and I just let some water in to keep it clear. Now how's that for progress? I know this doesn't seem like a big deal to most people, but you know what I'm talkin' about!?! I practiced so hard last weekend in the pool that my snorkel mouth piece exposed some of the root of a back tooth and that hurts! I hope it grows back. Anyway...I'm with ya!

hello,
I am new to diving and mask clearing was so hard for me. I just cert. last weekend. I am so scared that i will panic and something bad will happen. Why would your mask come off diving?

Lessthanlethal:
Why would your mask come off diving?

Kicked off by another diver or the strap snaps, or a current forces it to leak or you need to remove it to demit or adjust it. Many other reasons as well.

Luckily really mask clearing is simple!

If you've been certified but are still scared something bad might happen if it comes off id say the instructor didn't do a proper job. Get in the water and practice all the time, every dive. Do hundreds of mask removals to feel comfortable. Dont just not do it now you're certified - doing that will mean when it DOES come off you'll be in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom