An other liveaboard query: Tambora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frogfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Continuing my search for my dream liveaboard, and couldn't find much feedback on a relatively new boat: Tambora. Has anyone got any feedback on this operation ?
Thanks !

Hi Frogfish

I saw your question and it prompted me to finish off my review of the Tambora, which is now online at Tambora Liveaboard Review | Dive Happy

In summary - it's a great boat under good management (the co-owner is living on board at the moment) so everything is very well run.

Please note I was comped my place when I went on the boat in May as I was writing a story for EZ Dive magazine.

Hope you find the review useful. Anyone else who has been on Tambora is very welcome to add comments either here or on the review page itself.

Best
Chris

Hi DiveHappy - Thanks for that much appreciated. I did indeed book a trip on Tambora in December based on advice from a couple of people I know in Indonesia, and your review is in line with the feedback I got.
Cheers

Continuing my search for my dream liveaboard...
Dream liveaboard? :cool2:
If I had to do one, I would pick the Damai ... a photographer's dream, needs big money though. :shocked2:

Yes, Damai is an amazing boat. I was on there last year (wrote a review here MSY Damai Liveaboard Report | Dive Happy ) Is is expensive but definitely worth the money, especially as they operate an "all-inclusive" policy eg. free nitrox. On average it's still about $1000 US more expensive than liveaboards doing similar itineraries though.

Has anyone been on Mandarin Siren? I think it's meant to be the same sort of concept - only 8 divers. There's meant to be Damai 2 launching next year too.

Cheers
Chris

I was on the Damai this summer on a trip to Alor. It is somewhat more expensive than average, but I think it's a pretty good value. When you are comparing the cost of trips on other boats, you really need to add in nitrox, sodas, beer and wine, fuel surcharges and all the other costs that can add 10 to 20% to the cost of a trip. With Damai, it is all included. In addition, with Damai, there will only be seven other divers on the boat. To me, that is a huge plus. There are things about the Damai that are less than perfect, but, on the whole, it's a great boat to which I would gladly return.

Hi Frogfish

did you go in December? What did you think?

We are consdiering the Tambora for April 2011. Dive Happy feedback was very helpful but more would be appreciated.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom