Anadaman Dec/Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10tigers

Reaction score
What's up!

So I'm heading down to the Andaman side of Thailand for vacation with my non-diving girlfriend. I want to find a place that will satisfy the both of us. I'm looking for a place that has nice snorkeling from shore but close enough to dive sites so I don't have to spend most of my day taking long boat rides. I also like modest accomidations and want to avoid very populated areas. (I know , I'm asking way to much)
Basically I'm asking my girlfriend to give me 4 days of exclusive diving where she can go and do her thing. Besides that I will trying to grab a tank here and there when I can.
Should I go somewhere very dive specific for those 4 days or can I set up shop on a nice island for 10days and spread it out? I want to avoid moving from place to place to much. I want to relax.
I know we would like to do some snorkelling around Krabi in those little coves.

Also on Asia diver they quote dive prices per dive. Does that mean a 2 tank day or should I double the quote to estimate a 2 tank day? 65 bucks(USD) seems like a lot. I remember way back when oh Koh Tao it wasn;t that much.

Thanks

I think most of the diving on the Andaman coast requires boat trips. I don't know what you consider long but I don't think you can avoid leaving your gf for the day. From Phi Phi for example, the dives are 40 min trips to the sites. You leave in the morning around 9:00 and get back around 2:00. I'm not aware of many shore dives but maybe someone else can suggest a place.

If you want quiet, I'd say Koh Lanta. I haven't been there for a few years but it was backpackerish and more laid back than some other places. While the trips to the good dives sites are long, what's a few more hours if you're gone all day anyway. Krabi may be an option too. Phi Phi was a zoo. It's great for divers but obnoxious for non divers.

I had to laugh when I read your post. You have to negotiate your diving time. I have the exact same problem when I travel. I have to find places where my gf will have stuff to do and we have to agree beforehand how much diving I can do. There's a fine line between getting your dives in and p***ing her off. Tip: After you've used up all the dive days you've agreed upon, if you want an extra day, treat your gf to a spa package (baths in flowers, massages, smelly oils and stuff). She can go there for 3-4 hours and get the whole deal and in Asia it's very reasonably priced. She'll be happy and you can do more diving. :D

hey jive turkey thanks for your quick response.
To avoid this girlfriend issue, I offered to pay for her open water certification if she wants. I'm hoping she gets down there and says she wants to. If not I am more than happy to compromise. Thailand rules and I haven't been back in awhile. It will be her first time and I know there will be temptations to do all kinds of stuff.
Getting back from a dive trip at 2 is way better than getting back at 6. You know what I'm saying? I would still be able to salvage a nice afternoon with her snorkelling, eating curry and what not. It will also justify the "Honey please, one more dive, ok?"
I already nixed Phi Phi for the same reasons you stated.
Koh Lanta was my first choice but thought the dive sites were to far away.
The spa packages is a great idea but she ain't going without me! I love getting pampered!

Anyways, any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phuket sounds like a nice place for your girlfriend, with at Kata Beach e.g. good snorkeling, but because of the boat rides less suitable for you. However, if you decide to make e.g. a couple of shore or longtail dives, you could save a lot of time.

You will find Koh Tao is a bit cheaper than the Andaman Side, but 65 US$ for 2 dives is not that expensive?

Try the Northern beaches of Phuket. Nai Yang Beach has quiet resort & spas, clean beach, and snorkeling is just a couple of minutes from shore. Aqua Divers in Nai Yang can provide you with quick daytrip dives, they use longtail boat & Diving Design Speedboat to dive site. Travel time is about 30 minutes, thus leave at 9am & back by 1 or 2pm is the norm.

http://www.aquadivers-phuket.com/new/index.htm

10tigers:
What's up!

So I'm heading down to the Andaman side of Thailand for vacation with my non-diving girlfriend. I want to find a place that will satisfy the both of us. I'm looking for a place that has nice snorkeling from shore but close enough to dive sites so I don't have to spend most of my day taking long boat rides. I also like modest accomidations and want to avoid very populated areas. (I know , I'm asking way to much)
Basically I'm asking my girlfriend to give me 4 days of exclusive diving where she can go and do her thing. Besides that I will trying to grab a tank here and there when I can.
Should I go somewhere very dive specific for those 4 days or can I set up shop on a nice island for 10days and spread it out? I want to avoid moving from place to place to much. I want to relax.
I know we would like to do some snorkelling around Krabi in those little coves.

Also on Asia diver they quote dive prices per dive. Does that mean a 2 tank day or should I double the quote to estimate a 2 tank day? 65 bucks(USD) seems like a lot. I remember way back when oh Koh Tao it wasn;t that much.

Thanks

Between October to early May there are also a few operators in Kata who offer shore and longtail boat dives to sites only 5 to 10 minutes off Kata Beach. Your wife could relax on the beach or snorkel off either the northern or southern ends whilst you go for a dive. There are also some quaint inexpensive restaurants directly on the southern end of the beach as well as some good shopping (dare I mention it? :D ) within minutes walking distance. The longtail boats usually depart around 11:00am, return around 12:30, 3:00pm - 4:30pm or 6:30pm - 8:00pm for the night dive. Shore dives can be conducted at any time.

Kata is certainly not the quiet beach scenario that you are looking for, although it definitely is not as hectic as the Patong areas for example.

Enjoy your holiday!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom