Koh Tao in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great choice...you won't be disappointed. The northern tip of Sulawesi is fantastic diving. My itinerary would be to fly into Manado and dive the Bunaken National Marine Park for open water dives for a and then transfer to Lembeh for the second part of the trip for superlative macro. It will be the dive trip of a lifetime!
We actually dove both Bunaken and Bangka last year so are thinking we fly into Manado and dive Lembah then head over to Bali and do some diving there and be able to do tours and get some culture on!
Now to decide WHERE in Bali to dive and with what dive op!

Padang Bai or Lembongan.
If you are looking for Mola Mola than you need to bring something warm otherwise.....

The nearby Philippines and Indonesia is even cheaper and world class.
Can you name just one place from each of the country?

US$1.00 = Thai B 35.00
Baht 800.00($23.00) - B1,000.00($28.50). Full set of equipment is included.

Do you know any operator in Phuket can beat that price for a boat dive(equipment included)?

Bali depends what you want. A few options for you to look up and decide to mix /match. It is easy to get around:
  1. Nusa L - pick the right time and manta's maybe Mola Mola - but cooler so bring thicker wetsuit or hire/have vests etc
  2. Amed/Tulumben - one of my favourite places. diving is good (and USAT Liberty) and try muck dives - not my thing but tried it and great to do the different. Plus temples/water gardens nearby for a break. Car for a day is £40 tops. Some like Tulumben, I like Amed for the range of restaurants on a night. Cheap to stay, I use Adventure Divers Bali and use either their accommodation (no pool) or Kembali. Also Scuba with Turk who is on here has a dive shop.
  3. Gili Islands - mix and match - Gili T more party but easy to stay out of town or Gili Air more chilled. Good dive shops.
Have a look and ask away if you have questions.

We actually dove both Bunaken and Bangka last year so are thinking we fly into Manado and dive Lembah then head over to Bali and do some diving there and be able to do tours and get some culture on!
If you've dived Bunaken/Banka and Lembeh, you've been to some of the best diving in SE Asia. It does depend on what type of diving you enjoy...if on this trip you've had your fill of macro critters in Lembeh, you may want to focus on the bigger stuff in Bali. In that case, I'd recommend Nusa Penida/Lembongan and the Gili Mimpang/Bahia islands. You could choose a resort on Penida/Lembongan or the mainland in Candidasa or Padang Bai. These are deeper, cooler, and often current rich sites so you'll need appropriate exposure protection (18c-26c). If you want easier access to culture and land based activities, Amed/Tulamben are great options. There is a mix of diving at both places...muck/macro, coral reefs, and wrecks. Tulamben is much smaller than Amed so other than diving and a massage, there isn't much to do (this is a plus for many). There are many more activities, restos/bars, music, and social life in Amed. As for diving, I can't recommend one over the other, they're both great! As for dive shops, I tend to lean towards small locally owned/managed places. In Padang Bai, I had great experiences with Geko Divers. My go-to shops in Tulamben are Wonder Dive and Villa Utama. In Amed, I'd recommend Dream Divers, right in the heart of Amed. (Their sister operation, Enak Bungalows is also my recommended homestay and one of the best restos in town.) Have fun planning your trip and have a blast :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom