Analyzing multiple nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am quite sure that in the case of my student, she once knew exactly what she was doing. She probably had had instruction that was just fine. She was also not stupid. With the passage of time we forget about the things we were taught.

She had plenty of time to read her computer's manual and know what the computer is and is not capable of.

I am quite sure that in the case of my student, she once knew exactly what she was doing. She probably had had instruction that was just fine. She was also not stupid. With the passage of time we forget about the things we were taught.

When I went to college, I was a chemistry major who was pretty much of a whiz with math. I switched out of that completely. Today my knowledge of both subjects is sadly rudimentary.

She may have once known how to set up her computer but she is still not the brightest light in the harbor. Some people have the ability to learn but not the ability to think clearly.

Was she "BLOND"........

JIM...

The most egregious example of not understanding calibration and analyzers I've ever seen was at a popular resort that had Nitrox tanks out for customers to pick up and analyze/log, and an analyzer mounted on the wall with a whip to attach to the tank. A fellow and his wife walked up, took a tank each, and he attached one to the analyzer, and turned the gas on. He asked his wife, "What percentage do you want?" She responded, "We're not going deep, how about 36%?" "OK," he said, and he then adjusted the analyzer calibration knob to show 36, turned the tank off, removed the whip, and handed her the tank. I am not making this up.

Hilarious... and frightening. Thanks for sharing.

She had plenty of time to read her computer's manual and know what the computer is and is not capable of.

I don't know... my manual doesn't explicitly state what my computer is not capable of, i.e. it doesn't state that the computer doesn't actually analyze the gas. So if someone somehow believed this was the function of the computer, reading the manual might not actually contradict that.

Of course reading the section on "setting your O2%" should cause some confusion for a person in that kind of situation. But then again, confusion might be the normal mental state for such a person anyway.

OP here. Did my first nitrox dive since posting. Calibrated with ambient air then an air tank (similar readings) then did both "EAN32" tanks without recalibration. First was 34 and the second was 33. Let the gas flow until reading was stable, and the fact that they were two different readings gave me comfort. And the fact that the EAN32 log showed many previous tanks either 33 or 34 gave some comfort and some discomfort (like, why can't they hit 32 consistently). But I respected the MOD, and both dives were great.

Oh, and my last remaining hairs are not blond.

Within 1% is as close as you can believe. Tiny changed in the pressure being supplied to the sensor will make reading changes. Small amounts of outside air being sucked in with the airstream will make changes.

OP here. Did my first nitrox dive since posting. Calibrated with ambient air then an air tank (similar readings) then did both "EAN32" tanks without recalibration. First was 34 and the second was 33. Let the gas flow until reading was stable, and the fact that they were two different readings gave me comfort. And the fact that the EAN32 log showed many previous tanks either 33 or 34 gave some comfort and some discomfort (like, why can't they hit 32 consistently). But I respected the MOD, and both dives were great.

Oh, and my last remaining hairs are not blond.

are they PP blending, using a membrane stick, or continuous blending through the compressor? the first two are not going to be very accurate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom