Analyzing Nitrox..Do You

Do you personally analyze your Nitrox Mix?

• I never dive without personally analyzing my mix!

Votes: 153 96.2%
  • I will test it if the equipment is avialable. But have dove without analyzing it!

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I trust the LDS and do not bother with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJetDriver69:
Folks,

You had better be certain that you know what the mix is, or you may find yourself "doing the chicken dance" (technical term) at depth! :11:
Exactly , i always check for myself too , doing the "kickin chicken" is not very high on my to do list

Where I get my nitrox filled they do not even indicate the %EAN until analyse you own tank at the shop. They verify the %EAN and fill out the EAN sticker % and MOD. You also sign for you nitrox and show cert before you leave.

Every time. No exceptions. I take no ones word for an analysis.

As posted above, the shop I work at requires divers to watch calibration, analyze their tanks, sign a log at the shop, and fill out (and initial) a sticker on the tank. It avoids any confusion.

Even nitrox fills have to analyze and sign the shops log.

Bob_B:
The heat / cold and the movement of the tanks can change the mix.

The ONLY way the mix can change is if new air/O2/N2 or something ENTERS or LEAVES the tank. Heat, cold and movement do NOT change the mix, however, they may help mix it up better.

Ken

Always be there and see the testing of the gas when you don't have your own analyzer. First test the analyzer on air 21% and then test the Nitrox!
Analyzers are expensive, but can save your life..

Notso_Ken:
The ONLY way the mix can change is if new air/O2/N2 or something ENTERS or LEAVES the tank. Heat, cold and movement do NOT change the mix, however, they may help mix it up better.

Ken

That is true but I have had the mix "move" as much a 1% after riding in the truck for a few hours. I guess the mixing is the factor? or the the way the doubles are filled? Either way I always recheck both tanks after a long ride or after setting a day or 2.

Bob_B:
That is true but I have had the mix "move" as much a 1% after riding in the truck for a few hours. I guess the mixing is the factor? or the the way the doubles are filled? Either way I always recheck both tanks after a long ride or after setting a day or 2.

The mix didn't change. It was some combination of testing technique and some inherent variation of the analyser/environment that caused the different reading. Testing a nitrox mix with the gear we have out in the open isn't exactly NASA lab conditions, which is probably what you'd need to get EXACTLY the same results each time.

DeputyDan:
I have never done a nitrox dive (except 21%) and not rechecked the mix.

here's a question (and i had thought of it before, Dan... not picking on you =)

why not check 21%? what if someone screwed up and gave you 36% Nitrox instead???

wouldn't it make sense to sample every tank you use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom