And another sale gone, another one down... another one bites the dust!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Count me in as well. As stated though, I wonder how many LDS's will actually want to jump on board? Possibly those who have not been able to sell Scuba Pro stuff but what of those that currently do? Will they just see it as losing a very good margin?

Only time will tell. Where do I sign up?

Some shops have been playing the game so long (and some are good at it) that they don't know there is a problem. The structure of the dive industry is more than some incedental company policies it has been a way of life for many people for a very long time. It's all they know. Some of what is being proposed here will impress them as blasfemy (sp).Just like all the instructors who just know that OW dive 1 will always be a mess when it doesn't have to be. When I talk to many instructors about getting new divers neutral anh horizontal in the pool they look at me like I have two heads and swear it can't be done. They have lived with it so long they just accept it and never think to change it or that it needs changing.

But retaliation from the manufacturers is a very real possibility.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

But retaliation from the manufacturers is a very real possibility.

I am sure it will be at first but what about retaliation from the divers and the LDS's? This exact same thing has happened in several other industries with much the same result. The camera industry in particular comes to mind. When I first got into photography many, many years ago you had no internet to buy from and the mail order houses that were around you had to be extra careful because some would sell "grey market" cameras from Europe and Japan and the warranties were not valid. Didn't take too long after the internet, more specifically the "world wide web" came along and you could buy from anywhere in the world and the local camera shops were all crying foul and seemed to be dropping like flies, until they wised up and got together and pressured the manufactures into different pricing structure. It is very unusual now to walk into any camera shop that doesn't also do business, usually a good percentage of their busines, on the web. You no longer have to worry that the camera you picked up in Japan won't be eligible for warranty in the United States.

As Mike said, this has been a mind set for so long it is going to be difficult to change, can't teach an old dog new tricks kind of thing, only problem is those that don't want to change and keep things as they have always been WILL be passed up and find themselves going out of business. I can't think of a business that can afford to sit by while the world goes on. Business ia all about change and keeping up with what's going on, not just what new products are coming out.

=-) :confused:

its simply impossible.

If that's their goal, then it is, but they won't succeed, and the attempt is not only pointless but possibly damaging to them in the long run.

I didn't read every reply to this thread but I do have some comments, some which may have been already stated. If you know that the dealer 1 hour away from your house is breaking their dealer contract and may risk losing their dealership, why would you buy product from then anyhow. Sidenote, It is against federal anti-trust laws to have price controls, but it is still done and enforced by companies, I can think of one MAJOR sports accessory company that controls prices quite well and has hush hush ways of making sure stores control the prices. How will a dealer deal with your product if they aren't an authorized dealer. I also feel that bargaining is the burden of the customer. You woudln't walk out of a car dealership after the first time they tell you that is the best they can do. Also, on the side of the dealer, I have learned that customers that beat you down in price are frequently not customers that are worthwhile having. This may be a once in a blue moon event for you. On your side, I also believe that the tank fill punch card would be a good idea, does keep you in the store. The store needs to keep a certain profit margin in order to stay profitable, like you said $100 is $100, and the owner of that store certainly isn't getting rich off of having a SCUBA store. I say buy the transmitter at full price, but ask them to throw in the punch card, this way I bet you can get 2 punch cards and they will still keep a high margin. How much money have you spent at this place before, having a good repour and not whoring around at other stores will get you better leverage with them. I know I don't have a loyal customer when they tell me that they have been to every store, I know that that customer is just the customer looking for the best deal, and my sacrifice in margin will not earn me their future business, and if so, I will always have a customer that makes me very low margin.

Justin699 once bubbled...
I I say buy the transmitter at full price, but ask them to throw in the punch card, this way I bet you can get 2 punch cards and they will still keep a high margin. How much money have you spent at this place before, having a good repour and not whoring around at other stores will get you better leverage with them. I know I don't have a loyal customer when they tell me that they have been to every store, I know that that customer is just the customer looking for the best deal, and my sacrifice in margin will not earn me their future business, and if so, I will always have a customer that makes me very low margin.

So what is your margin when the customer buys elsewhere? And what does it mean when they stop coming in and checking? Don't you just hate those customers that are "just looking for the best deal". How dare they!

Justin699 once bubbled...
... You woudln't walk out of a car dealership after the first time they tell you that is the best they can do...

absolutely will and do everytime I buy a car. I have yet to have one not call me back the next day and get a whole lot more reasonable on discussing the price. I have also walked out and refused to talk to them again if I have felt insulted based on the original quote they gave me. They know that I have done my research before I go in and I know what the Invoice price is and I know what rebates are available to them. The only thing to discuss is what is a reasonable profit for them.

Sorry for the hijack...back to your originally scheduled discussion.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom