And another sale gone, another one down... another one bites the dust!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But its not.

The Politics-Fax system is WELL KNOWN on Capitol Hill :)

I'll be happy to list addresses and such separately, but the automated system works very well - it DOES require some effort, and it DOES confirm the signatures (so "stuffing the ballot box" is futile)

Also, can you imagine the impact if 10,000 signatures showed up on Scubapro's or Aqualung's CEO's desk? That's a pretty good chunk of divers!

Genesis once bubbled...
Also, can you imagine the impact if 10,000 signatures showed up on Scubapro's or Aqualung's CEO's desk? That's a pretty good chunk of divers!
I'm all for it. Lets do it!

A couple of thoughts. Even if ScubaPro or other manufacturers agree to endorse online and in-store deep discount sales, there will be a big problem if divers have difficulty getting their equipment serviced. There is absolutely no reason I can think of why a shop should be forced to sell thousands of dollars of new equipment in order to become an authorized technician for the company. Why can't a LDS service many popular brands and sell none, or only one?

Also, if LP and other online discounters are still able to take a major portion of the high dollar equipment sales due to economies of scale (can you imagine all the current LDS trying to sell online at LP prices?), LDS will still need to be able to carry portions of manufacturers lines. There are still things that are just not worth buying from LP. Wetsuit gloves are one I wanted to buy at my LDS. I wanted to try them on, and the added cost was worth the ability to try before I bought. Same with my mask. There are other items, but you get the idea.

One of the things that needs addressed is open access to parts and technical documentation. Its an absolute must.

I would 100% support an online petition, and I'm sure others would as well. Do it! Let's stop this idiot price fixing and make the world a better place for the LDS and divers alike!!

inletsurf once bubbled...
I cannot believe this thread has gotten this far. Un-freakin-believable.

Ditto

Genesis, I think you are finally heading in the right direction. I once spoke to the executive assistant to the CEO of Chase Manhattan Bank in NY and things were taken care of VERY fast.

It's all a matter of WHO you speak to.

The evolution of this thread has been incredible. I just went back and re-read the beginning, and it is amazing how what initially degenerated into heated (and sometimes petty) bickering has evolved into trying to identify issues of concern to LDS and divers alike and attempting to bring about change in the policies that often pit shops against customers. I, for one, am thrilled to see the change.

Genesis often takes a lot of heat for his agressive pro-consumer attitude. While agressively pro-anything attitudes can be quite annoying, it alse seems to me that it is probably the Genesis' of the world who actually make the changes that we all benefit. If it hadn't been for him making the effort to contact ScubaPro, putting together the petition text, and taking the lead in other areas, we would still just be sitting around griping about the manufacturer's policies and how unfair it all is.

Any of you who are instructors or shop owners, please take a look at Genesis petition thread and provide your perspective, comments, and concerns so that it represents all our viewpoints, and not just those of retail equipment purchasers.

I'm known around my former industry for refusing to take "no" for an answer until I get to the guy who tells me "I don't have a boss." :)

Most of that comes from being the guy that GOT those phone calls not all that long ago :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom