And another sale gone, another one down... another one bites the dust!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why? Because in the very first page of posts I directly addressed the fact that you did take no for an answer and were unwilling to fight any battle for a better deal. You redirected the problem to the LDS. But I digress, I don't want to debate those details.

A petition may have some value. However, ScubaPro while they do have price fixing, have already recently made several strides to open up their storehouses for discount opportunities.

I posted before how I recently attended (as a dive professional) a 45 minute seminar discussing the entire scuba pro product line and some future gadgets. At the end we were given catalogs and price sheets and given an opportunity to order anything we wanted for 40% off wholesale. They just didn't want to see items purchased end up on E-bay. Ordering more than one of a thing wouldn't be conspicuous unless you order like 4 or 5 of a thing.

But this meant we could leverage our buying power for friends and family as long as a professional filled out the paperwork and staked their reputation on not mismanaging the deal. So this deal meant you could go top of the line from head to toe for two people for just over a thousand dollars. And SP had not offered anything like this before (according to the rep). However, the interesting part was we concluded the seminar with the rep mentioning that this is likely to become an annual trend. The fact that this was even mentioned shows a major trend change in SP's view on consumers.

I would support such action of course as long as it addressed more than price. It would need to to address some of the aother aspects I have mentioned that help to ensure we can't lower price even if they ok it because of their marketing and purchasing limitations. I would even post a link on my web site.

It addresses FAR more than price.

Specifically, it also addresses the lock-step nonsense on parts and service availability, and certification for technicians, among other things.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

I posted before how I recently attended (as a dive professional) a 45 minute seminar discussing the entire scuba pro product line and some future gadgets. At the end we were given catalogs and price sheets and given an opportunity to order anything we wanted for 40% off wholesale. They just didn't want to see items purchased end up on E-bay. Ordering more than one of a thing wouldn't be conspicuous unless you order like 4 or 5 of a thing.

But this meant we could leverage our buying power for friends and family as long as a professional filled out the paperwork and staked their reputation on not mismanaging the deal. So this deal meant you could go top of the line from head to toe for two people for just over a thousand dollars. And SP had not offered anything like this before (according to the rep). However, the interesting part was we concluded the seminar with the rep mentioning that this is likely to become an annual trend. The fact that this was even mentioned shows a major trend change in SP's view on consumers.

Sound good if you are "friends and family". With LeisurePro we can all go top of the line ScubaPro at decent prices. A LDS owner, or the shops instructors if the owner cooperates, always could dive gear at cost and that was never any one's complaint. Should we all be applauding the new, kinder and gentler ScubaPro because you get a sweetheart deal?

djhall once bubbled...
The evolution of this thread has been incredible. I just went back and re-read the beginning, and it is amazing how what initially degenerated into heated (and sometimes petty) bickering has evolved into trying to identify issues of concern to LDS and divers alike and attempting to bring about change in the policies that often pit shops against customers. I, for one, am thrilled to see the change.

I'm right there with you on that sentiment. Instead of a bunch of us just sitting around a chat board whining about how bad things are at the local LDS, now there is an opportunity to FIX things.

Count me in, and once things get finalized I will see about getting my LDS to post something to direct people to the online petition, etc.

djhall once bubbled...
What about used dive gear? I know you can't sell used gear as cheaply as eBay in most cases, but I would think people would be willing to pay a little more for gear that they knew had been inspected, serviced, or repaired by a qualified technician. .

I know some of the LDS's here sell used stuff on Ebay. I am sure it is a common practice. LP has several different accounts that they sell new stuff on Ebay, often with a starting bid close to or the same as what you can purchase it for through their web page. Poseiden Scuba in Deleware sells on Ebay, mostly new product.

I think one of the points should address the need for them to stand behind their product with respect to warraties. Where ever its been purchased in the world, and regardless of who it was purchased from. We might as well throw in that they contractually force their dealers to honor such warranties.

I realize that to broad a list of demands runs the risk of a wash out. But I think a list of well crafted, articulated points in the interest of diving consumers will stand out.

This is indeed the "Mother Of All Threads". It takes time to change the world.

Cave Diver once bubbled...

I'm right there with you on that sentiment. Instead of a bunch of us just sitting around a chat board whining about how bad things are at the local LDS, now there is an opportunity to FIX things.

Count me in, and once things get finalized I will see about getting my LDS to post something to direct people to the online petition, etc.

Don't be suprised if many LDS are not in favor of this.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Don't be suprised if many LDS are not in favor of this.

Do you suppose they fear retaliation from the manufacturers? Shame is that without change more LDS's will fail. Anyones outright unwillingness to support this process, at least in theory, would bring their integrity into question, at least in my opinion. Whos side should a retailer really be on, besides their own best interest? If a town has two LDS's and one supports while one doesn't, which one is going to last?

My interpretation is that most LDS's are interested in a return to the status quo pre-online sales. Don't confuse this with being on the side of the consumer.

Back
Top Bottom