And her legs popped off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgoodstein

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I was lobstering (Spiny Lobster) on Sea tech ledges (Florida)this morning grabbing some bugs before the end of season. Due to the long ride home and me forgetting my cooler I kept them alive till i got home. I caught a female and showed my boys and taught them about anatomy, crustaceans, how to catch, size them, etc.

My wife prevented me from showing how to remove the tails to them but in time I will teach them. Here's my question. When i removed the tail, all at once in unison all of her legs just popped off the carapace . Kinda freaky and freaked me out a bit. Is this usual since they can regenerate them? What is this called? Never happened to me before.

Global warming.

Hey, it's either that, or it's George Bush's fault. IJS

Seriously, never seen that happen with lobsters, but then Spineys could be a lot different than the ones we catch up here.

Never seen that either. The legs are a bit fragile (quite common to see a bunch come off whilst they are in the bag, but that is presumably because of snagging) but have never seen legs pop off due to trauma.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom