+ and - of AI computer as first computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first computer. I am looking at AI Suntto Cobra. Would this be a good computer for a beginner ??

(Dont worry, we have to learn the PADI dive chart regardless)

Any advantages and disadvantages of AI computer ?
If not, which computer would be more suitable ???

Also wouldnt an analog SPG be more reliable than digital computer ?? Can we have a backup instrument that measures the air pressure ???

my requirement

1) MUST be user changable battery
2) WOuld grow with my dive hobby, i probarbly going to do AOW, and possibly till Dive Master.
#) Dont think will get into tech diving except the occation wreck diving. Definetly not cave.

All Help appreciated :)

Went through a similar experience before purchacing mine. Will this work for me? Can I read the gauge UW? Will it work like advertised? Etc.

I love my Cobra. The read out is easy to read, and I like the AI feature that consolidates the pieces of equipment you need to carry. I went with the disconnect feature as well and really like it too. Makes it real easy to bring in and fill out any missing details in the dive log without carting the entire reg.
I choose the Cobra from the Uwatec mainly because the Cobro (like most of their products) have user changable battries.

The only "awkward" thing I notice is coming up after a dive on line, especially with current and having to hang on the line with one hand and look at the gauge with the other. It's not to bad, just a bit awkward. With a wrist mounted computer you could hold on with both hands if need be and still keep your eyes on the read out. If I had it to do over I might buy the Vytec, but it was hard to justify the extra dollars at the time.

Also wouldnt an analog SPG be more reliable than digital computer ?? Can we have a backup instrument that measures the air pressure ???

Some seem to think that, but I would think since there are no moving parts in a digital spg it should be more reliable. I know someone that drop there tank on there cobra and all it did was crack the plastic face plate everthing else was working fine. I would like to see a analog SPG take that and still work.

I like the AI. I like having all my information in one spot. I like how my computer (the Uwatec SmartCOM) keeps track of all the information so I can view it after downloading it onto my computer.

I don't use some of the AI features though - it calculates your remaining bottom time for you based on air, breathing rate, depth, etc...I don't like trusting a computer to do that for me. I prefer to end my dive when we get to our air or time limits.

I don't carry a backup SPG. Someday I may, but for now if my computer dies, I've lost more than my SPG I've lost everything and will need to abort the dive anyway.

how can we have BACKUP SPG ?? is there another hose that we use ?? I thought there is only 4 pressure hose in a system ??

Depends on the particular first stage you have. Apeks DST for example, has 4 LP ports and 2 HP ports:

Low pressure ports:
- primary second stage
- backup second stage (or octopus)
- LP inflator hose
- drysuit inflator hose (optional)

High pressure ports:
- SPG
- air integrated computer or wireless transmitter

But some regulators have only 1 HP port, and some specific regulators designed for argon or sling bottles may have only 1 or 2 LP ports, and 1 HP port.

Exactly...my 1st Stage has 2HP and 4LP ports. Also...if you're setup w/ H-Valves you have two 1st stages so you have even more places to put stuff if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom