And so it begins. Panic in the California dive boat industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't read through all the posts, but when I've slept on board a dive boat at night it is usually because the boat left during the night to get out to the islands prior to or at daybreak and there were crew present on board.

I think that's a terrible way to operate. All passengers should participate in a safety briefing before leaving the dock, or shortly thereafter. That's what's done on cruise ships, and if I recall, on all the (non-CA) liveaboards I have been on. I know it wouldn't have made a difference in the Conception outcome.

Given that 95% of photogs really don't want their expensive rigs 'touching' another rig due to damage and scrapes I don't think even a 'community' fire box will work.

Just have the photographers bring their own battery charger. Most cameras have a dedicated battery charger. It would probably be smaller and lighter than having to carry a fireproof bag.

This is just the beginning of a lot of changes that will be happening in my estimation.
California dive boats were never really considered to be plush international LOB’s that cater to the discriminating wealthy vacation diver. The water in CA isn’t warm, there isn’t any coral unless you count purple and orange hydrocoral (sp).
The current pricing reflects the market of divers who patronize those charters. I’m sure they would love to get more money per charter, but I think with all factors combined the price is about the max of what people consider California diving to be worth. These new rules will affect convenience a little, some of those trips leave at Midnight to 2 in the morning for the outer islands.
As far as not being able to charge items at night, tough sh!t. They are more concerned about safety at this point and less on divers who must have all their devices. California boats cater a lot to hunters, lobstering, spearfishing, scallop harvesting, etc.
Whereas tropical top end LOB cater more to photogs and the more device oriented crowd. Not to say there aren’t plenty of photogs on CA dive boats, but the locals will find a way to conform and respect the new rules. It’s the travelers that will throw a fit about it as seen right here with people from SB that bitch the most about it, who have probably never been on a CA boat or even to CA for that matter. But CA boats don’t rely on travelers and they never have, they rely on locals.
It will work out.

Or more likely after the knee jerk phase ends, they will find a way to allow overnight charging AND be safe. This isn't rocket science, and the equipment required will probably be cheaper than the possible berthing refits that may be required.

I think that's a terrible way to operate. All passengers should participate in a safety briefing before leaving the dock, or shortly thereafter. That's what's done on cruise ships, and if I recall, on all the (non-CA) liveaboards I have been on. I know it wouldn't have made a difference in the Conception outcome.

This was the way Scuba Sciences trips ran on the Bottom Scratcher and the Sand Dollar. We got to the boat, everyone unloaded their stuff, grabbed their bunk and then everyone sat in the galley while the safety briefing was held. The boat was usually just starting to get underway at that point. After the briefing everyone hit their bunks and slept while the boat travelled out to San Clemente, or on a good day the Cortez Banks. So, there was a safety briefing, it was just at midnight.

It’s the travelers that will throw a fit about it as seen right here with people from SB that bitch the most about it, who have probably never been on a CA boat or even to CA for that matter. But CA boats don’t rely on travelers and they never have, they rely on locals.
It will work out.

After these threads, divers will understand that CA LOBs are that in name only. It's all about the diving, not the accommodations. More like a trip up the NorCal coast for diving and camping with likeminded folk, only warmer water.

It will work out, but I hope it includes the continued survival of the SoCal dive fleet and reasonably priced dive trips.

Bob

"They died in a grandfathered boat" is going to have a final ring to it.
After the fatalities on a grandfathered boat here in Tobermory, the Coasties stopped grandfathering anyone. Period. Like the next day.

There was at least a half dozen boats that never left the docks again with a paying passenger aboard. A few of them are slowly rusting/rotting away in various fields outside of town.

After the fatalities on a grandfathered boat here in Tobermory, the Coasties stopped grandfathering anyone. Period. Like the next day.

There was at least a half dozen boats that never left the docks again with a paying passenger aboard. A few of them are slowly rusting/rotting away in various fields outside of town.
Yeah, that might be a possibility too.
This whole ordeal is too new still to know what the final fallout will be.

Back
Top Bottom