Andaman at the moment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If all the diving was stopped all the DC's would be closed. What would be the point of keeping the business open if there is no diving?

The severe waves (about 4 meters) affected the most northern beaches on Phuket last week. This was due to a cyclone over the Andaman Islands.

BTW at Koh Racha Yai yesterday the viz was 18 - 20 meters, flat seas and only 8 divers on the boat. Better conditions than during the high season.

So how are things looking now in the Similans? Have liveaboards started again for the season? I am heading out on Saturday and wonder if things are better than last year and what kind of vis I can expect.

Thank you in advance,

Arizona

Weather is great, seas are calm. One boat (MV Jazz) came back on the 15th raving about the diving, they had seen sharks, eagle rays, great visibility.

BUT they had also spent a couple of dives at Richelieu Rock removing a fishing net, and the owner told us hed seen a fish trap at Koh Bon the size of our office (which the divers also cut up and released the fish). Fish life was prolific despite this. Patrick said he will be drafting something for the National Park office/TAT et all complaining about the fishing. Richelieu Rock is now officially part of the Surin Islands National Park. Divers have to pay 400 Baht entry fee. To see a huge fishing net?

Anyway, despite this the customers were very happy indeed and rather proud to have helped out with some marine conservation at the same time.

It is, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.

Personally I prefer this time of year. The sea will normally be rougher than later in the season, but there are not many divers and the visibility is excellent. No chance of manta's and whalesharks (well, you never know), but chances of eagle rays, leopard sharks, white and blacktips are better than later in the season.

What type of vis can I expect? Coming from Pattaya I sure it will be better:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom