andaman visibility and conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlaytner

Registered
Reaction score
Over the last four years, I've dived the Adaman in March every year except in 2009). Each year, my impression has been that visibility has deteriorated. I would like to hear from visiting divers (not dive shop or tour organizers), what their recent experiences have been -- how clear and how much viz? In 2006, there were sites where it was virtually unlimited and no place was bad. By 2008, most sites viz was down to about 15-20 feet, and at times much worse. How is the viz this year?
Thanks,
Mel

From a DC owner: visibility varies a lot day by day in most sites. Shark Point one day 5 meters can be 20 the next day, no way to predict it as well.

So all stories on the net about: vis is excellent this year, vis is bad this year, vis seems to be improving, vis seems to be deteriorating, are all bull.

Hey mlaytner,
I was on a liveaboard to the Similans 2 weeks ago, and I thought the visibility was excellent. My cabinmate Keith gave me some of his pictures.. you can check them out here to get a feel for the conditions we had: Similan Islands, M/V Le Mahe [Part I] The Scuba Intern

Also, there was many Mantas out in Koh Bon: YouTube - Manta Rays in Koh Bon

Keith, if you read ScubaBoard... Thanks for the amazing pictures and videos!

If you're talking about the diving sites around Phuket, I think the vis varies like Compression and stevenl said. I still find it very good compared to what I was diving in the states. Another SB member, Jun Lao, came to visit last month and shot this vid of Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai, and King Cruiser: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUW4fA_P8sU

Hope this helps.. I was just in a video sort of mood tonight, I guess.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Removed a personal attack & some responses- if you want to discuss conditions YOU'VE experienced- don't attack others for expressing their opinions.

I just did 3 weeks in the Andaman. Got back 2 days ago. Vis was on average 100 feet. At times maybe up to 130+ and at its worse was about 60ft. The worst vis we had was probably at Koh Bon. But there were 5 large Manta so I was not complaining.

Visibility is a thing that changes all the time. I find it amazing how different divers give different estimates of vis when doing the same dive at the same place.
Personally I'm mostly happy with the vis in the Andaman Sea and don't think it has changed a lot the last 20 years or so.

There's days with good vis and there's days when the vis isn't all that great.
It's that simple to me...

30+ vis on most of the dives I went on Feb 23-27. Mantas :)

30+ vis on most of the dives I went on Feb 23-27. Mantas :)

Lucky you!
I just came back from two weeks in the Philippines and didn't see any mantas and neither did have 30+ meters vis.

Vis was "only" between 15-25 meter.

I did see 3 whalesharks though....:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom