Andrea Doria Dive narrated by John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Force-E Divers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
Riviera Beach, Boca Raton, Pompano Beach, FL
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looks like our friend, John Chatterton, has come up with another great video. This one is on his 1991 Andrea Doria 220' air dive.

The SS Andrea Doria is an Italian Line ocean liner that met its demise in over 200' of water in 1956. 52 people perished from this tragic sinking. According to Chatterton, "It was called, the Mount Everest of Wreck Diving for a reason. It offered virtually limitless penetrations of the interior. Deep wreck divers from around the world came to the Doria simply because it was deep, dark, and dangerous, and it really was."

Thanks to John and Duck Diver Productions for putting this together.

Enjoy

That's maybe the best wreck diving video from a functional perspective I've ever viewed. The commentary was great.

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

Very cool to see video and hear the narration from him. Thanks for sharing

Very cool. There is absolutely no way I could do something like that, regardless of training or practice.. Incredible

That's maybe the best wreck diving video from a functional perspective I've ever viewed. The commentary was great.

That is kind of you to say! Thank you! It is always fun working with John, and there are more to come!

Cheers,

Wow. 220 Feet, on air, penetrating a large, complex structure (lending itself to disorientation, such as with the stairways going in different directions) with quite limited/variable viz., often in rather tight quarters with a lot of silt close at hand, requiring considerable mental engagement for navigation & monitoring the dive, all while in a situation where some degree of narcosis is practically a given.

I may have missed it, but did he have a buddy? Was this a solo dive?

Gives me an idea for a new PADI Distinctive Specialty; PADI Suicide Diver! No offense to the man, though; it was back in 1991, and he clearly understood what he was doing and had done the wreck before. Amazing dive. Still gives me the willies thinking about it!

It was interesting to see what sort of life was there. Several small sea stars, and I think some sort of anemone? Late in the video, at the lower left-hand corner of the video frame, it almost looked like some sort of dark eel lunged, but I may have misinterpreted what I was seeing.

Richard.

Love the video. I am smart enough to know I will never have the skills/training to dive at that level. But love to enjoy the stories of those than do. Thanks for posting it.

Wow. 220 Feet, on air, penetrating a large, complex structure (lending itself to disorientation, such as with the stairways going in different directions) with quite limited/variable viz., often in rather tight quarters with a lot of silt close at hand, requiring considerable mental engagement for navigation & monitoring the dive, all while in a situation where some degree of narcosis is practically a given.

I may have missed it, but did he have a buddy? Was this a solo dive?

Gives me an idea for a new PADI Distinctive Specialty; PADI Suicide Diver! No offense to the man, though; it was back in 1991, and he clearly understood what he was doing and had done the wreck before. Amazing dive. Still gives me the willies thinking about it!

It was interesting to see what sort of life was there. Several small sea stars, and I think some sort of anemone? Late in the video, at the lower left-hand corner of the video frame, it almost looked like some sort of dark eel lunged, but I may have misinterpreted what I was seeing.

Richard.

Obviously it was solo... No lines for penetration, narced as crap from narcosis, deep, cold and obviously there is a significant chance of a collapse from above which would almost certainly be the end of the line.....The level of skill, confidence, mental concentration to fight narcosis, the complexity of the route... on and on... just not something 99.999% of the population could ever be capable of doing, regardless of training.. And of course doing a pretty good job working a camera at the same time...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom