Andrea Doria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything about what? What kind of info are you looking for?

well 75% of this thread was about the fate of the "seeker"
was just trying to respark this thread.
BTW any new lift bag adventures?

I didn't know if you wanted info on the Seeker or the Doria.

Took Old Yeller out today, but I didn't use her, but I did dive the Dacota. You want to talk about alot of trinkets. China, farm equip - Huge debris field, it's all over the place, Water was freaky clear, and I didn't see one fish.

Sorry going off topic. :D

sounds like a cool dive, i like finding little trinkits, and stuff....

lobo:
Just a question I have read a few books on this wreck do people still dive this?
:eyebrow: Yes The Seeker and The Yahoo Dive it, for about 5 Weeks in late July - August. Its a mixed gas dive with heavy decomp time.

That would be the Seeker and the Wahoo...both of which don't seem to go anymore. If anyone can elaborate, please do. My understanding is that the Seeker was sold and is now a fishing boat...and that the Wahoo no longer finds it profitable when weighing risk to make the trip. I'm sure there are other boats that go out there, but I dunno which yet. I'm still planning to make the trip in 2k7, so I'll start looking for my charter next year and will share any info I find.

-T

tlessard:
That would be the Seeker and the Wahoo...both of which don't seem to go anymore. If anyone can elaborate, please do. My understanding is that the Seeker was sold and is now a fishing boat...and that the Wahoo no longer finds it profitable when weighing risk to make the trip. I'm sure there are other boats that go out there, but I dunno which yet. I'm still planning to make the trip in 2k7, so I'll start looking for my charter next year and will share any info I find.

-T

Both boats have been sold:
Seeker per an e-mail I recieved is still a dive boat, and apparently will be runing out of Newport RI the end of June.

Wahoo is now known as the Garloo, Capt Hank Garvin is now owner, he used to work for Steve. He is not doing those sort of dives yet, although he has done Coimbra.

PB565:
Joel Silverstien is running a charter to the Doria this summer, I believe he still has 2 spots available.

http://www.techdivinglimited.com/

The two most famous boats that would go to the Andrea Doria no longer go. For almost 20 years the R/V Wahoo would make treks to the Andrea Doria during late June and July, typically 2-3 trips a season. The early 90s were the best years. When it was hard to get on a charter because they were so full. The Wahoo was sold last summer to Captain Hank Garvin and he has renamed the boat the R/V Garloo. I've tried to get Hank to run charters for me this year but the boat was not ready to make the trek yet as he is busy refitting the boat.

The Seeker ran to the Doria during the 1990s and early 00s but went on the block for sale almost 2 years ago. Capt Dan Crowell was getting busy with his u/w film work and found it to be just too much to run both the boat and a promising career. The SEEKER was recently sold.

Thus ends an era of mighty dive boats with heady men and women who would toss the land behind them and head out to the Grand Dame of all shipwrecks the Andrea Doria. As I sit here, now, in the middle of the Arizona desert it's not hard to remember all the friends that were made on those Andrea Doria trips. But frankly, they have become difficult to run. I have a charter this summer on Capt. Zero's "John Jack" and I expect we will have a great time as always. I know Capt Zero for 15 years now he and I have been to the Doria together, he was on my 1993 expedition to the SS Republic and we were on the Wilkes Barre together and hundreds of other dives in the NY bight. And maybe we might bring in a new era of Doria divers. Who knows.

I'm running this charter because a few people have wanted to go for years. The only way to do it is to book the whole boat. So i did. Yes I have two spots left that I would like to fill, but if I don't so what. I just write a check for the balance of the charter and press on. I turned down 4 guys in the past week because they did not have the right stuff to do these dives. So the money is not the driving factor for these trips.

The JohnJack is a fine vessel and we are looking forward to this trip.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom