Angry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba.com:

Have you ever considered adding real-time inventory updating for products on your web-site? Many other online retailers have it and it would have prevented the frustration experienced by the OP.

For example: Leisurepro has a feature that allows you to flag an out-of-stock item and receive an email when it is in-stock. Most other online retailers sites don't allow you to add an item to your shopping cart if it is out-of-stock.

I've purchased from Scuba.com, Scubatoys and Leisurepro and your inventory system seems to be the most antiquated. Everything else on your site is great including the variety of selection and navigation.

-Ed

I have read through this entire thread and believe that the OP has a valid point and is not an isolated incident. I have now had my second bad experience with Scuba.com on my second order. I believe they engage in questionable business practices and are full of more excuses than any other "customer service" oriented company I have ever experienced. They blame everyone but themselves and make no effort to improve their service for the future.

I believe this is the perfect place to call out a business that is not doing what their customers expect. After reading this thread and many others there are a lot of care bears that jump right in and say they have had a good experience and blame the customer for receiving bad service. The customer is always right and if they believe they have been wronged then it automatically becomes the company's issue to fix. If it is an isolated incident I think it would go away but this thread is clearly evidence that it is not.

Please do not bash people for "not planning ahead," "not calling to confirm," or simply using an online retailer. These are all cop outs. These are modern times we live in and expecting reliable and honest online service is not too much to expect. Whether it is price, ease of access, or not having a good dive shop in your area that sells the product you are looking for, buying online is a reality for many people and sometimes their only option.

Scuba.com has taken two orders from me, charged my card imediately and then over a week later in both cases informed me that the item was on "backorder." They did not refund the money already charged, and admittedly knew that they would have to order the item from the manufacturer when the order was placed. Charging a customer up front when you do not have the merchandise is unacceptible. I would not go into a local dive shop and pay the full amount up front so they could turn around and use my money to order from the manufacturer. Deposits are not unheard of if you do not have a personal relationship with the dive shop, but full payment never.

So in closing I feel the pain of the original poster and the others who are getting "backordered" by Scuba.com. They need to clearly communicate to people ordering if an item needs to be ordered from the manufacturer. Online purchasers unless otherwise stated assuume that an item is in stock and will ship in a reasonable time after they place their order. For Scuba.com to expect their customers to know their internal processes and that many items are not in stock is unreleastic and not in keeping with the general theory and practice of online retailing.

P.S. As a Soldier I thought the plug about a military buy of 1000 units by the Scuba.com poster was a shameless attempt at sympathy and I am not ordering 1000 units of anything, just 1. For more sympathy next time you should include pictures of puppies and babies.

Is it just me, or is this thread a year old? :D

Scubatoys

N

I live in Kansas, diveshops here are few and far between. The local shops we do have are pretty pricey hense why I do most of my ordering online.

So, how much money do you figure you saved on the item that won't show up until October?

:D

You keep saving money like that and pretty soon you'll be able to afford giving up diving altogether!

Am X

and just contest the overnight charge, cancel the order.

print their e-mail, throw in a file of "contested charges"

My Am X does not even require any paperwork, they reverse the charge right away, which free you up to purchase somewhere else. I do this pretty often as I shop things pretty extensively on the internet, not just diving gear. If you plan to shop around for the best price, you need a system, a good card (disputed charges procedures...Citibank is good too) It does not take too much time, or I would not do it. Also, always get a name or employee ID. At least with on-line shopping you have great records in your e-mail, easy to search up.

I always hold vendors responsible if I pay for overnight, etc.

I personally have very bad experience dealing with scuba.com.... just trying to avoid purchasing anything depending on the delivery. I buy from them only some stuff which can wait at least 2-3 weeks to be shipped.... very poor store and very low quality customer service.

Back
Top Bottom