Anguish over buying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Lynne. The vast majority of divers dive less than 20 times per year, if at all. Apart from the basic package she has now it might be better to rent, especially as Lynne says until she makes sure she likes it. Not everyone gets hooked like us...:D

To answer in another way. If there is any anguish involved you/she is not yet ready to make the decisions and purchases. Time and experience are your friends here.

Pete

We are always happy to work with Scubaboard members. Just e-mail us with what you want and we'll take care of you.

Happy Diving

I am not comfortable with rental regulators. I agree with everything else. I just have seen too many slipshod operators, operating on a shoestring and cutting corners. Thats just me, and I am not as safety conscious about other "rules". Of course how long you wait depends somewhat on how much money you have...
I generally have made the observation that loyalty to a LDS is not reciprocated enough for me to not shop online. I KNOW there are exceptions! It could be a function of living in a tourist transient market. Do look at the sites you were given, it will provide you some leverage at the very least. I will add that I have received my orders very quickly and returns have been handled without problems.

Thanks for all the replies!

I am getting a list of equipment in the packages and will post it here for ppl to weigh in on.

A little more info might help answer some questons or concerns:

1. Sue has been scuba diving before. She went a few times in Cuba (didn't get certified and dove with the DM) She is canadian and gets to visit Cuba...

2. She missed out on doing it Maui last year when I got certified(she had a broken collar bone, from a motorcycle accident) and really looks forward to getting into scuba.

3. She is very comfortable in the water.

4. We plan on getting really involved in this sport and plan on taking many weekend getaways to have this "common interest"

5. We are going to be diving in Jamaica in May after we have our wedding there.

Again, I really do appreciate everyone taking time to post comments and we do take the opinions seriously. So feel free to keep sharing them.

my anguish is that I just want to enusre she gets quality gear, at a decent price. The LDS has stated that they have a "if it doesn't work for you, return it and we will find something that does" policy.

here is their site :http://www.seaventures.com

She is getting a list of specific equipment, so if you want to re-visit this thread and weigh in, please do!

For me, I see myself getting really deep into scuba... pun intended! :wink: My questions for my gear are related to the type of diving I want to do. I really see myself exploring all facets of diving (wreck, cave, etc...) I don't know if Sue will want to do that, so recreational gear is fine for her. So am am wondering what to buy for myself.... But that is another thread.

For me, when I decide to do something, I usually jump in with both feet. For example, when I finally got my motorcycle at the age of 30, I bought a 1300cc sportbike. Not for ego, but because I knew how much I would enjoy it and didn't want to start off small just to keep trading up until I finally reached nirvana. I now have 2 street bikes, and a race bike. One is the same bike I originally bought!

My point is that I don't mind spending a little more for Quality. I just don't want to buy something and then want something else a year later.

Again, thanks for all the great input! Please keep commenting.

Bill (Calamari68) <-- the Calamari nickname actually came from buying that 1300cc sportbike as my first bike. My friend that rode bikes, called me a squid (a derogatory name for those t-shirt and flip flop wearing kids on the sportbikes that "squirt" around doing wheelies). I told him to eat-me, and thus I became Calamari!:14:

Here is some of the equipment:

reglator: scubapro 390 ( MK25 R390)
Computer - atmos2 or atmosxr2
wet suit: Icon 3mm
BC : Scubapro Ladyhawk or Seaquest Libra

I am also doing searches on the board... But it's nice to get answers in one place.

Bill,

I just finished my OW and am looking to outfit myself. I'd be a little apprehensive about purchasing a package with specific gear (my LDS has a discout when you purchase the mask, snorkle and fins.)

As a female, and small one at that, i've had a though time finding the approriate fit esp in fins and mask. She really may want to shop around. Good luck!

Cheryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom