Anguish over buying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calamari68:
Here is some of the equipment:

reglator: scubapro 390 ( MK25 R390)
Computer - atmos2 or atmosxr2
wet suit: Icon 3mm
BC : Scubapro Ladyhawk or Seaquest Libra

I am also doing searches on the board... But it's nice to get answers in one place.

I'd actually tell you if doing the MK25 - don't do the 390 - move up to the 600 so it's balanced and adjustable. Most the women in our shop like the Zeagle Zena over the Lady hawk... and you didn't list your octo.

A combo with the MK25 600, ladyhawk (or zena) the atmos 2 or xr2 and a good 3 mil suit will probably run you about $1300 by the time you toss in your octo. So that's just one dollar for each cc you got! "I bought a 1300cc sportbike"

Thanks, Larry. I have not heard what octo they were including in the package. They listed and optional alternate air src or octo.

Edited with new info:

Well they listed AIR2 as the octo.

I second Larry's suggestion about getting the mk25 with the s600 second stage. Breathes great. I have the 390 as the octo.

I second humu's warning about fit -- don't know how big your GF is, but make sure she really takes time to make sure that any BC she buys fits properly. And that means it's stable UNDERWATER with a tank on it. I bought my original BC by trying it on the in LDS, and it seemed to fit fine, but when I actually dove in it, I found it would never cinch down well enough to keep the tank stable on my back. I'm quite small framed, and the infinite adjustability of a harness was what turned out to work for me.

ShakaZulu - good list. Its nice to see a list of items with prices to help guage the costs of getting gear.

TSandM - I understand and will make sure it fits while wet. The LDS has an indoor pool onsite for training and checking out gear.

thanks.

I would agree, that there is no rush, you will note used gear often comes in pink. There are many avid female divers but many are pushed into it and don't like it after all. It is easier to pick your gear after you have experianced some rental gear.

If you do buy gear get a brand with local service. Support your local dive shop, but if you really want a deal it is hard to beat the deals on ebay, but you will get no real service. I have my own gear but don't always take it all, it is heavy and can really hold you up.

Mask boots and fins to me are a no brainer. get em at your lds cause fit is everything. Being that she's new I'd rethink the splits tho. She may be better of with a paddle fin to start with. Simply because they would IMO respond better for a new diver than splits would. If you got in a current where she was unfamiliar with the effort involved with splits that some have talked about on different threads it could cause a situation that could prove more stressful than it needed to be. Now before I get toasted I've recently started diving with oceanic v-12 splits in the pool. I LIKE em! But not enough to give up my blades in certain situations. ie diving dry, diving in a more than mild current, and working with students in open water where I may need to catch someone quick. The splits just don't give me the power, confidence, and control yet to switch over to them exclusively. There are a number of good paddles out there and I'd suggest trying them first. They'll also save you some bucks over the splits. You could always upgrade later but she may not want to.

Hey man,

I don't think you will like treating an AIR2 like a backup regulator. I use the MK25 and it is a solid first stage, but the R390 really works great as a backup because it is extremely reliable. For your primary second stage regulator see if you can get the S600 or the G250.

As others have said I would beware buying an entire package at this point. If the shop wants you to buy it then perhaps they will let you dive on it first and not in their pool under their supervision (which would mean waiting until after certification). It doesn't sound like too great of a deal to me... A shop that will charge you $350 for that stuff is not out for your best interests.

-V

If you want to play you will pay. That said, doing a little research before dropping the dime will go a long way. GOOGLE does the trick. Focus on the big stones first. A reg should last a long time and a computer that you are willing to understand will greatly add to the comfort and safety of your adventures. BCD is the other big stone.

Our package purchase was well designed by our LDS and included a $100 teaser to buy and learn with. We also received full credit for our classroom course if we purchased before hand. (another $175 each) Packages and prices listed at www.goingunder.net, yikes the options are different now and ours is not advertised.:06:

We (my wife and I) were decided on diving regularly and for the long haul. $1300 seems low to me for quality gear. I am not an expert but did research numerous configurations before buying.

End conclusion;
Quality Regulator Apex200 with airsource alternate inflator.
Computer all the way - personal opinions will vary but the Suunto Cobra is mine now.
BCD - Many good choices, certainly a flexible price point. - Seaquest Balance for me.

I like the Henderson Gold Core wetsuit 3 Mill. - I don't get cold easily 5mill for the little lady. It dries very quickly, is easier to get on and off.

Mask should be tried on for correct fit - My Tusa Visulator gives a great panorama.
Fins too present a variety of options - sizes are pretty standard, I could have saved a little by purchasing on line. Volo Power paid $160, found online for $110 + ship

After those items are figured into the cost, other items are relatively inexpensive.

Don't forget the many accessories that you will come across.
Lights, rechargeable batts, knife, sausage, air alert,camer*****, luggage and more.

My package cost around $2300, but we saved an additional $300 per person with the incentives.
Apex200 with Airsource alt inflator and airalert. list $695+$175+$100
Balance BCD list $495
Suunto Cobra Computer with compass list $625
Traveloc 2000 gearbag list $225

Also consider the relationship that you will develop with your LDS. GUDC has numerous local activities that contribute to our overall enjoyment of diving.
Best regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom