Trip Report Anilao Trip Report (Buceo Dive Resort)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never enjoy "surprise" on holiday especially the "issue" could had easily settled much earlier.
Answer what the customers required and never ever assumed or presumed. If in doubt, ask. How difficult can it be?
@hedonist222
Did you raise the issue with Dave?

The lady at the reception couldn't explain it to me.
So she called Dave who obviously could explain it.
And no, I didn't express any chagrin.
Was five minutes from heading to the airport.
I'd anyways have to pay it and didn't want it to appear that I want a discount or compensation for their mistake.

The lady at the reception couldn't explain it to me.
So she called Dave who obviously explained it.
And no, I didn't express any chagrin.
Was five minutes from heading to the airport.
I'd anyways have to pay it and didn't want it to appear that I want a discount or compensation for their mistake.
Of course she could not explain it to you because it was obvious someone else or even her mistake.
If I was in your position I would also not ask for anything but make it clear to them on the issue.

So did you do any "blackwater" diving?

Thanks for an excellent trip report. I had a return trip to Buceo Anilao in March,
first Asian macro dive trip since Covid and I loved it so much. The staff there are all soo nice. And agree wholeheartedly that the guides and boat crew are some of the very best compared to top drawer destinations Ambon and Lembeh. My guide was JohnLloyd and I 2s in a group with a lovely American Couple. The other group on the boat was guided by Enzo, who usually had just 2 divers. I liked the way we all dived in one large buddy group with two pairs of eye. In the Philippines in general we tend to fine a few things that we like to eat and then stick to them. The stuffed squid and the tuna were great. There had been a typhoon before my visits and some of the critters were washed away. But otherwise I was delighted with my spots, I found Anilao a tiny bit productive than Lembeh, but the ease of access from an international hub more than made up.

Thanks again for doing the report !

Pleasure and I enjoyed writing it. I had in mind that I'd be writing one while there.

I had Romnick everyday. Nani for 7 days while he guided the other group.
I had Elmar for 3 days (12 dives) and Enzo for 7 days (28 dives).

I would rate Romnick as 12/10.
Enzo 10/10
Nani 8/10
Elmar 5/10

Thanks for the superb trip report, really takes me back. I stayed w Buceo back in Sept 2019 for only 3 days of diving but it got me hooked on macro and muck.

I'm surprised you rated Elmar as the lowest of the dive guides - that's who I had in 2019 and I thought he was great. Maybe because it was our first macro trip and even the common critters were cool to us back then? I returned to Anilao in April this year but decided to try Blue Ribbon because I didn't really enjoy the food at Buceo last time, and let's just say I remembered Elmar being much better and faster at finding stuff than the Blue Ribbon guys. I will definitely have to ask for Romnick next time I go back, good to know!

What a genius idea to hire TWO private guides. What were some of the more rare/unique ones? Do you share your photos?

I have to agree I think Lembeh is slightly better all around. Although the one blue ring I've seen was in PG and I've found more mimics in Anilao than Lembeh. But actually the cost per dive with your 2 private guides is about the same as what I paid per dive at Bastianos Lembeh with no private guide (although I got lucky with no other guests staying). So Anilao is still great/arguably better value especially for folks who are not bored yet of the "common" critters.

Thanks for the superb trip report, really takes me back. I stayed w Buceo back in Sept 2019 for only 3 days of diving but it got me hooked on macro and muck.

I'm surprised you rated Elmar as the lowest of the dive guides - that's who I had in 2019 and I thought he was great. Maybe because it was our first macro trip and even the common critters were cool to us back then? I returned to Anilao in April this year but decided to try Blue Ribbon because I didn't really enjoy the food at Buceo last time, and let's just say I remembered Elmar being much better and faster at finding stuff than the Blue Ribbon guys. I will definitely have to ask for Romnick next time I go back, good to know!

What a genius idea to hire TWO private guides. What were some of the more rare/unique ones? Do you share your photos?

I have to agree I think Lembeh is slightly better all around. Although the one blue ring I've seen was in PG and I've found more mimics in Anilao than Lembeh. But actually the cost per dive with your 2 private guides is about the same as what I paid per dive at Bastianos Lembeh with no private guide (although I got lucky with no other guests staying). So Anilao is still great/arguably better value especially for folks who are not bored yet of the "common" critters.

I didn't want to bring too much attention to it but Elmar felt distant and slightly disengaged.
He found very small and very camouflaged critters but at a rate of quarter or a third of the other guides.
Maybe he's dealing with personal matters? Maybe Romnick and Enzo are just better?
It is what it was.

I have Instagram and happy to share it with whoever messages me.

Im not sure if these are rare or exotic or unique, but I was ecstatic seeing these:

Lembeh sea dragon
Tiger shrimp
Alleni nudi
Juvenile fingered dragonet
Juvenile dragon
Sap sucking nudi
Lembeh sea dragon
Bristle tail filefish
Radial filefish
Flying gunnard
Giant frog fish - slightly larger than a basket ball
Many Warty frog fish in psychedelic colorways
Ornate ghost pipefish
Robust ghost pipefish
Harlequin ghost pipefish
Halimeda ghost pipefish
Juvenile fuzzy dwarf lion fish
Shawn the sheep nudi
Mimic nudi
Cactus coral nudi
Rhinopias
Pygmy sea horse
Algae shrimp
Cryptic sponge shrimp
Donald duck shrimp
Saw blade shrimp

Im still sifting through about 2000 photographs
First stage is deleting bad photos and duplicates
Then I'll start editing

Here are a few I edited:

P8220629-02.jpeg

P8220512-01.jpeg

P8220519-01.jpeg

P8210109-01.jpeg

P8220613-01.jpeg

You seem to have seen a lot more than I did in March, but the typhoo apparently washed some of the critters away. I was very happy with what I saw, including as it did multiple spots of hairy frog fish and mimic octopus, will just have to go back ……shame !!!!!

You seem to have seen a lot more than I did in March, but the typhoo apparently washed some of the critters away. I was very happy with what I saw, including as it did multiple spots of hairy frog fish and mimic octopus, will just have to go back ……shame !!!!!

That's diving for you... maybe you'll see and maybe you won't

I did do 38 dives over 10 days though..

I was thinking too myself the other day, if asked if I recommend Anilao, I'd say yes but at least 10 days to change upon a good amount of sea life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom