Ankle Sprain??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MuddyRubberDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I messed up my ankle pretty bad last week. I've gotten so I can limp on it with no pain and i was wondering if anyone had any input on how it might feel if I put fins on and dive. I realize that the best way to find out would be to swim but I dont have a pool readily available. also, I dont want to plan a dive and get out there just to cancel for my ankle. it does hurt if i step on un even ground but I can point my foot with very little or no pain. Any Ideas???

Thanks
Neil

If I absolutely had to dive after an injury like that I would use hard sole dive boots and tape the effected area like a football player. You could consider borrowing some split fins to make kicking easier. Or maybe wear a brace u/w. Staying out of the water would be the best decision. Let that sucker heal up so you can dive another day. Not to mention if you get hurt on the boat b/c your ankel is messed up. Have fun & be safe

I screwed up my ankle while i was taking OW and I had it correctly taped and was able to do what I needed to do for one pool session. I had a slow unsteady but pain free walk at time on land and was putting my gear on in the water. Flutter kicking produced an irritating pain but wasn't a deal for me because I was in a controlled environment. The demands of an OW dive are different then farting around a pool so I don't think I'd do an OW dive given how I was feeling at the time. You can compare your injury to mine and use your best judgement.

Activity with tolerable ankle pain is no big deal but not for something like diving.

I am just getting over a pretty bad sprain and I think that my recovery has taken about twice as long because I decided to push it when it started feeling better. I was doing alot of climbing on rough terrain and I could hardly walk for the next four days.

Depending on the area you are diving in, finning might not be that big a deal. If I was plannng on diving in an area where there is alot of currrent or shore diving I think I would try to hold off and let it heal. If you are diving in calm conditions and you don't have to fin alot or walk very far I would consider wearing a brace and diving if you feel up to it.

I think that it really comes down to the type of diving you are planning to do and how your ankle feels. Sprains take a while to heal and it is hard to sit around and not do anything.

Good luck and I hope it heals quickly.

I would suggest seeing a good orthopedic or family doctor to pinpoint the injury. Like other's had said, depending on the tendon involved, taping does wonder.

But again, let a good doctor examine you, before you make a mild acute injury into a chronic one.

OK. Good News!!! Went to my parents and finned around for about an hour today. everything feels great!! Thanks for the responses.

Neil

Glad to hear that you are healing up. Enjoy the dive.

IT is not advisable to dive with a sprain. You can cause more damage to the muscles and ligaments by causing a tear.

Back
Top Bottom