Annapolis to the US?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The study I referred to that identified the asbestos concerns within friable insulation was done after the sinking of all the other ships in our area. It's a learning experience. The study also pointed that after 3 years PCB levels in the surrounding marine life of ships in the USA that were not properly cleaned out was below allowable levels, so any mistakes that were made were short lived. The positive impacts of artificial reefs far out way any of the alarmist concerns made by opponents of sinking these vessels and future ships will now have a blue print to follow to ensure that they are cleaned out properly prior to sinking. I see nothing but a positive future for the creation of more artificial reefs. I also stress the importance of these sites as protected areas. I did a fair amount of fishing as a kid and have learned that rock fish are easily wiped out and fishing closures do not do enough since they do not stop poaching. If you want to see an abundance of large mature rockfish near an area of large population like Vancouver you won't find them on a "natural wall" but you will find them in artificial reefs and other popular dive sites because the divers help protect these areas. The only other exception is areas of high current that are too difficult to fish. So while the opponents of these projects may have done some good in the past to help raise concerns about proper cleaning practices, I feel their time has ended and they need to focus on something else.

I see nothing but a positive future for the creation of more artificial reefs.

With all the BS and expense that ARSBC had to go through sinking the Annapolis I would be surprised if are any more artificial reefs created in BC. The Halkett Bay people didn't succeed in their selfish attempt to stop this sinking but they sure made sure there won't be any in the future.

... I'm scheduled to dive the Annapolis on the 26th ... really looking forward to seeing it underwater ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

they sure made sure there won't be any in the future.

I prefer to look at it from the point of view that now with a court case establishing that these ships do not present a danger to the environment future projects can go ahead without being challenged in court.
But easy for me to say. I hope the arsbc keeps moving forward with more sites.

Last edited:
Not sure how friable asbestos is a concern once the ship is sunk......little chance of it becoming airborne once submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how friable asbestos is a concern once the ship is sunk......little chance of it becoming airborne once submerged.

You hit the main point exactly. Airborne vs Marine and depending on the year a ship was prepared for sinking different information was available.

In 2006 an EPA report on guidelines for the preparation of ships used for artificial reefs stated that the main concern for removal of insulation was to prevent it from floating to shore and being reintroduced to the air and affected human health. Any asbestos released into the marine environment was expected to be covered in algae, sink to the bottom and be contained within the ship. So if the insulation was sealed and unlikely to float to shore it did not have to be removed.

In 2012 the NOAA released a report on artificial reefs stating that concentrations on the order of 1 million - 100 million fibers per liter may cause epidermal lesions, epithelial hypertrophy, kidney damage, decreased orientation and swimming ability, degradation of the lateral line, reduced growth, mortality in fish and decrease the survival rate of brine shrimp.

So if friable insulation breaks off it has to be in very high concentrations at which time it "may" cause health risks to marine life. I don't think the risk is very high but it is something to be aware of when diving older ships.

With all the BS and expense that ARSBC had to go through sinking the Annapolis I would be surprised if are any more artificial reefs created in BC. The Halkett Bay people didn't succeed in their selfish attempt to stop this sinking but they sure made sure there won't be any in the future.

ARSBC are undaunted, after a long deserved rest, they look forward to creating more artificial reefs. They probably won't be the size or complexity of the Annapolis. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they sink more artificial reefs in sites such as Porteau Cove - already a marine park with artificial reefs so the road blocks are not as formidable. : )

I was thinking maybe something around Indian Arm / Deep Bay area. Driving out to West Van plus a boat trip is worth it for the Annapolis but something closer for divers in the valley would be nice. But I think typically the vis in that area isn't as good and I'm not sure if marine life would build on it as quickly. Anyone that dives the Arm frequently might be able to give an opinion.

Had a great dive on her Sunday. First one to have a boiler room access hole.

How's vis, Dave?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom