Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that is essentially true. I recall reading (you like that citation?) that the "pure" Buhlmann ZHL-16C (i.e., GFs set to 100/100, i.e., zero conservatism) is estimated to result in a measurable incidence of DCS--like on the order of several percent. No Rec computer manufacturer would be crazy enough to let a diver dive that. I have to believe that all manufacturers add a safety or conservatism buffer, whether that's by gradient factors or some other means of providing a buffer.

Stuart, I can't speak to the sample dives you ran through the different computers. Maybe the tests I had in mind were done for a broader sample of dives, including dives that would necessarily involve deco stops. Maybe they were even based on Buhlmann A or B rather than C. I do not believe the Petrel allows the user to set 100/100 in normal mode, though. As someone else pointed out, the Petrel Recreational Mode's "Low" conservatism setting corresponds to 45/95.

I don't think your statement is correct, maybe you're thinking of early Navy tables? You certainly could use a better citation.

I don't think your statement is correct, maybe you're thinking of early Navy tables? You certainly could use a better citation.

I may have distilled my (incorrect?) understanding from several sources. I was under the impression that Workman and Buhlmann first developed the m-value concept, and then developed gradient factors as a way to add a buffer zone next to the m-value line because, to put it colloquially, an unacceptable number of people were showing symptoms of DCS. Adding to my confusion is that there was first Buhlmann's A model, and then the more conservative B, and then the still more conservative ZH-L16C, which I understand was developed with dive computers in mind. So maybe the m-values in Buhlmann ZH-L16C do not result in anything but the "vanishingly low" incidence of DCS that we have come to expect from our computers?

If I have one "complaint" about the book Deco For Divers, it's that the explanation of m-values doesn't clearly differentiate the general case from how it would work in the case of computing no-deco limits (NDLs).

We have received numerous questions concerning the size and position of the buttons on the SubGravity H3, powered by SEABEAR- specifically if they are usable with dry gloves. Here is a little video to ease your mind!

I Have my H3 i just cant wait to get it wet!!!!!! next week !!!!!!! bring on the transmitter!!!!

what he said. Most of the issues I've seen have been the finger contorting trying to hit them while they're on an inflated drysuit.

I Have my H3 i just cant wait to get it wet!!!!!! next week !!!!!!! bring on the transmitter!!!!

Good to hear! Let us know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom