Announcing the SubGravity H3 - Powered by SeaBear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got my H3 about 2 weeks ago and have only done 3 dives sofar with it. Sadly been out of the water for most of that time due to an infected blister. I'm working as a Dive Operations Manager and dive guide on an expedition sailing vessel cruising the South Pacific and we did a two day hike up a volcano on Ambrym island, Vanuatu which caused the blister.

So a bit too early to give conclusions, but my general feeling that it is a solid product but with potential for improvement. These are mostly small issues related to software/user interface so hopefully something Seabear can/will work on.

I will post a bit more extensive review after some more dives with it.

I emailed Sub Gravity with questions about the H3. I got a response from Josh Thornton that included a link, which I posted previously, to the PDF of the warranty where it expressly states that the battery is not covered by the warranty. I replied to that email on August 31 with further explanation of my concerns, and in which I asked this question:

How do I know that SubGravity or SeaBear won’t decide, in 3 years to charge $150 to do a battery replacement? 3 years seems like a pretty reasonable amount of time to expect to need to replace the battery. If it turns out to be $50 per year for battery maintenance, suddenly the H3 sounds a lot more expensive than it did before.

I got no further response and my support ticket is now Closed.

I bought a new Petrel 2 on Sunday afternoon. I have sent Shearwater 2 emails already with a couple of questions and issues. They responded promptly to everything and my Petrel is now fully updated and ready to dive.

When you say "issues" do you mean with the computer or user? Cheers.

One "issue" - the documentation they have posted for fixing a connectivity issue with BT and Windows 7 was wrong. Or, at least, it didn't exactly match how my laptop computer behaved. So, I emailed them to let them know about that. I got mine working just by finding their KB article. But, I would have gotten it working even more quickly if their KB article details had matched the details I was seeing in Windows Device Manager. I figured I'd let them know, in case they update their article and it helps the next guy/gal.

And one "question" - my Petrel looked like it came with a stick-on screen protector already installed. I asked the guy at my LDS about it when I was buying it and he said no, that is not a stick-on screen protector. SW Support said that it actually is. I just wanted to know whether to buy one and put it on or not. Now that Support clarified, I can order one to have on hand and not put it on until I need to replace the original.

One "issue" - the documentation they have posted for fixing a connectivity issue with BT and Windows 7 was wrong. Or, at least, it didn't exactly match how my laptop computer behaved. So, I emailed them to let them know about that. I got mine working just by finding their KB article. But, I would have gotten it working even more quickly if their KB article details had matched the details I was seeing in Windows Device Manager. I figured I'd let them know, in case they update their article and it helps the next guy/gal.

And one "question" - my Petrel looked like it came with a stick-on screen protector already installed. I asked the guy at my LDS about it when I was buying it and he said no, that is not a stick-on screen protector. SW Support said that it actually is. I just wanted to know whether to buy one and put it on or not. Now that Support clarified, I can order one to have on hand and not put it on until I need to replace the original.

Thanks for clarifying.

Dear All,

We have determined that a replacement of the battery on the H3 will be under $100 USD. As previously stated, we have not experienced any battery failures with the H3 thus far. If and when it were to happen, we would of course deal with it quickly and professionally. Battery replacement also includes computer cleaning, o-ring replacement, battery replacement, reassembly and pressure testing.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us directly or post your questions here on Scuba Board!

Kind regards,
Randy

Battery replacement also includes computer cleaning, o-ring replacement, battery replacement, reassembly and pressure testing

isnt that kinda like saying an oil change also includes unscrewing the drain plug and also screwing it back in so all the new oil stays in?

Dear All,

We have determined that a replacement of the battery on the H3 will be under $100 USD. As previously stated, we have not experienced any battery failures with the H3 thus far. If and when it were to happen, we would of course deal with it quickly and professionally. Battery replacement also includes computer cleaning, o-ring replacement, battery replacement, reassembly and pressure testing.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us directly or post your questions here on Scuba Board!

Kind regards,
Randy

I'm sure you guys had a good reason to choose a non user replaceable rechargeable battery but for me that's a deal breaker. Had you gone with a user replaceable easy to find non rechargeable battery it would have been infinitely more appealing to me as a viable alternative to a Shearwater. They do look like very nice units though and I hope they sell well. Good luck.

I'm sure you guys had a good reason to choose a non user replaceable rechargeable battery but for me that's a deal breaker. Had you gone with a user replaceable easy to find non rechargeable battery it would have been infinitely more appealing to me as a viable alternative to a Shearwater. They do look like very nice units though and I hope they sell well. Good luck.

other than going to a coin cell which would require frequent replacement, how do you propose they figure that one out and keep the form factor? Same deal with your cell phone....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom