Annoying bugger in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This fish appeared at the bottom just as we started our ascent and seemed to be very attracted by us. It hovered around us continuously during the safety stop and all the way up and even was still buzzing around underneath the boat after everybody got out. It tried to nibble on our fins, octopuses and gauges. It wasn't very big, maybe a foot or 1 1/2 long. Seen around Akumal. What is it?

PICT0109.jpg

PICT0113.jpg

PICT0114.jpg

Holy crap!

Someone once posted about one getting on him, which I think seemed fairly benign until it found his nipple and bit down. Very painful.

I just mention this in case people figure they're harmless and letting them feel around you is all in good fun. If you've got any 'protuberances' of any sort on your person, you might want to exercise care.

Richard.

if they do attach to a person how exactly do you detach them?

if they do attach to a person how exactly do you detach them?

Carefully :D

They can actually make good handles, as in this classic shot by Stan Waterman. (Photo was taken a long time ago when the rules about touching sealife were a bit different, before anyone gets upset)

Attachments

• Manta.jpg
    Manta.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 245
Carefully :D

They can actually make good handles, as in this classic shot by Stan Waterman. (Photo was taken a long time ago when the rules about touching sealife were a bit different, before anyone gets upset)

I think if I had the opportunity to do that I'd just have to let a few people be upset with me.

Back
Top Bottom