Annual service timing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sinbad the Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought my Mares regs (MR 12 Abyss) in May of this year. I'm quickly approaching, probably already in, a period where I won't be diving for a while due to other commitments, schedule, etc this period will run through mid-Dec when there are opportunities that may arise to dive (in-laws moving to South Florida is a huge winner for me :D ). My thought was to get my regs serviced in Nov so that I won't run into a situation where I'll be trying to get them done in the spring when shops tend to be more backed up and where there is a better chance that I'll be needing them.

Seems like if I had service done in Nov and then planned on each Nov I should be good, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something concerning timing in relation to purchase date or some such. Can you folks give me your take on this, let me know if I'm thinking straight?

If you don't plan on diving until Dec. then pack it up and have it serviced just before you resume diving. When you purchased it has very little to do with when it should be serviced. Also, take it to a pool or shore dive where you can test it out before you go on vacation once it has been serviced.

Wiz

Sinbad,

There is nothing wrong with your plan. As you know you are jumping the gun by about 6months on a regulator service, but then after that you will be back on an annual basis. One thing I would consider is in Nov, the holiday season begins with turkey day, followed by Christmas, New Years, and then throw in wifes birthday, and daughters birthday, ooooh thats my life (sorry, got carried away). Anyway, I would suggest calling your LDS or service center and asking them their thoughts. If they were to send it to us, it wouldn't really make too much of a difference, other than the holiday I pointed out previously.

Low Viz Wiz,

You probably know this but I will mention it just in case. It does matter when you purchased the regulator. We recommend a service on an annual overhaul, to maintain the mnfg warranty. In addition we offer free parts as long as the service is conducted within that time frame. Original owner only.

Best regards,

You probably know this but I will mention it just in case. It does matter when you purchased the regulator. We recommend a service on an annual overhaul, to maintain the mnfg warranty. In addition we offer free parts as long as the service is conducted within that time frame. Original owner only.

Best regards,

What I meant to say is you don't have to wait a full year to service it or wait until the month you purchased it to have it serviced. But you explained it much better than I did.
:D

Sinbad,

One thing I would consider is in Nov, the holiday season begins with turkey day, followed by Christmas, New Years, and then throw in wifes birthday, and daughters birthday, ooooh thats my life (sorry, got carried away).

Frightening, that's my life too just add in Son's BDay at the beginning......

Thanks for the info, I am less worried about the 6 months early than I am getting it done within the window that maintains the waranty while being done at a time that doesn't interfere with an opportunity to get them wet (my opportunities are too limited to pass up on them because of maintenance scheduling).

Hi Zak,
Lemme introduce you to myself. I am working for the distributor in the Middle East, UAE, Al Masaood. As a sales and service co-ordinator for Mares equipment. I have recently joined this community of Scubaboard.
Would love to learn some new things from the experts what i am unaware of.

Sinbad,
Guess Zak has missed out 1 of the points about servicing/overhauling equipment (No offence Zak :) ). So would like to clear that one as well. Mares recomends overhaul of equipment anually from the date of purchase or every 100 hours of diving which ever comes first to keep your equipment in perfect working condition. After all its your own life depending on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom