Anomalous YS-110 Strobe Operation When Shooting With 1G Camera in a DX-1G Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's an update for anyone that doesn't read the Wetpixel forums.

Recently a member there commented that he had received a new FO port piece that snapped into the right side FO port on the DX housing. The piece places the FO ports directly in front of the housing flash window. After his helpful post I contacted his vendor in Singapore and the gentleman was kind enough to send me this piece, free of charge and with his compliments.

I did my first dives yesterday with the piece in place. Out of the 300 shots I took, I had "0" misfires. Also, I noticed the difference in the strobe TTL adjustments. These pics are more along the lines of what I "Thought" the TTL was supposed to do. Prior to this piece, I was lucky to get a fire in 50% of my shots. When I contacted my US S&S distributor, he knew nothing about this adaptor, hence the assistance from the overseas rep.

I guess my questions to the S&S rep here are....why isn't this piece available to everyone? Is there a plan to get this to all distributers in the States any time soon? Thanks.

Last edited:
There was a thread regarding the DX-1G and YS-100 issues here yesterday. This thread has been up for a couple months I believe, and now it's gone? The thread had many good points and well crafted questions in it.

Seeing as I made the last post in it, I'll resubmit my question. Recently it was brought to my attention that there was a modification piece for the FO port. This piece re-aligns the Strobe FO cable directly in front of the Housings flash window. In my one test dive (300+ shots) I saw a DRAMATIC improvement in strobe misfires. Like from 50% misfire to under 10% (more like 0%). So, my question was when will this piece/adaptor be available in the US? OR.... how can we get this piece elsewhere? Also... I heard rumors of a new Camera? Something like a DX-2? Any info on that if it exists?

Thank you....

Greg

Last edited:
HI Greg-
The post was deleted since it developed into a more general photography thread with mention of other manufacturer's and accessories etc with links. Not due to any issues regarding the SEA&SEA topics. To answer your question, the US is receiving stock of the "DX-1G Fiber Optic Cable Adapter" in the next 2 weeks and will be able to provide them to our US retailers or consumers who contact us at seaandsea@tusa.com requesting such with their housing serial # and mailing address, of course at no charge.
New 2009 products will be shown at DEMA at end of this month and appropriate announcements will be made during that time and into November.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Since this thread has some great general info and has expanded outside the Sea & Sea realm, I've restored the deleted thread, merged the new one and moved the whole thing out into the general photography strobe and lighting forum.
Enjoy
:)
Rick

All very interesting reading. I am in Australia and have just bought the DX-1g and the ys110. I am sorry I didn't come across this thread earlier. Anyway, could you let me know who the manufacturer and what the part is actually called for the adapter you mentioned earlier. I hope to be able to source it.
cheers

I just returned from Hawaii with less than stellar photo's with my new DX2G and the 110A strobe. The strobe was new out of the box and for some reason had problems firing at all. In the manual 1 or 2 mode it never fired with the slave switch set to off. ( just like the instructions directed) Yet when the slave switch was on in manual 1 it fired fine but with a brilliant flash.
I just finished mailing the strobe back to them today to either have it repaired or replaced. The instruction manual needs to be revamped and the proper operating instructions given as to the operation.

HI-
In order for the YS-110 or any strobe to function properly, it needs to be in slave mode when used with a DX-1G, 2G or other compact digital camera and should be used with a fiber-optic cable. There is no electronic or hard-wired connection on these cameras. It is highly doubtful that there is anything wrong with the strobe.

If you would like the return of your strobe without evaluation and freight return charges, please contact our service dept at 877-973-2732 once it has been delivered.

I have recently returned from a diving trip having expected to be able to use my YS-110 as a slave to my Ikelite DS-160.

It doesnt work as expected.
Having the YS-110 set to Manual 2 or TTL with Slave on, is, as far as I know, supposed to facilitate the YS-110 firing in response to the Ikelite, without a fibre optic cable.
A fellow diver has an older model which operates in this manner without any trouble, every time. I cannot get my YS-110 to fire unless it is directly facing the main strobe.

Can anyone advise either what is wrong, or whether they have had the same problem?

Housing used as above is Ikelite, camera Canon 450d and Ikelite Ds-160 with sync cord to DS-160

Back
Top Bottom