Another "Am I Reading the PADI Dive Table Correctly?" post... ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can locate a copy John Lippmann's Deeper into Diving 2nd Edition ,it would answer your questions. In it the author discusses the decisions made while creating the tables mentioned above (as well as several other dive tables). The book was originally available through the Divers Alert Network. A quick summary is available at: AquaQuest: "DEEPER INTO DIVING, 2nd Edition" By John Lippmann & Dr. Simon Mitchell

Safe Diving

No doubt that D on the PADI table is not D on the NOAA table, however I am looking for specific mathematical corollaries, ratios, etc., much like BoulderJohn expressed above.
My intent of this thread was really to ask more of a math-related story problem than to question the practical application of the tables.

If you like those things I'd suggest "Deco for divers", the appendices have the math (not enough of them to my taste but...) and it's an awesome read even if you don't plan to do any deco ever.

I believe the cause is lack of research because political correctness has caused an unwillingness to explode goats for testing purposes. I mean would you really want to use a shampoo that hadn't been tested on animals? Your head might melt!

Remember, as my Advanced Nitrox instructor always says (I've known him for many years)

an unexploded goat is NOT proof of a good deco profile!

I've just ordered a log book stamp like this. (it just says "another unexploded goat" with a funny picture)

Jon T

If you like those things I'd suggest "Deco for divers", the appendices have the math (not enough of them to my taste but...) and it's an awesome read even if you don't plan to do any deco ever.
Noticed that Amazon shows it as temporarily out of stock, with a list price of $47.
That price seems a bit steep for a paperback that is roughly the same size and page length as your average "For Dummies" book.
Granted, the analogy could easily be: minor league baseball and major league baseball share the same size field, same number of players, and same uniform look... but it's the players skill that's noticeably superior.
All things maybe being equal, I haven't read Deco For Divers, so I have no idea if it merits that price.

Nonetheless, thanks for the recommendation, and in the mean time I will keep looking for minor league prices... :wink:

Happy diving,
AC

P.S. And speaking of math... math.com also lists this book... also for $47 and also out of stock...

Last edited:
Noticed that Amazon shows it as temporarily out of stock, with a list price of $47.
That price seems a bit steep for a paperback that is roughly the same size and page length as your average "For Dummies" book.
The problem with books like this is that there is an extremely low potential readership, especially in comparison to the"for Dummies" books you cite. Consequently, the cost of production cannot be spread over many thousands of copies. That is one of the reasons college textbooks on obscure topics are so expensive.

Now, if you want a more thorough book that really goes into the math, try Bruce Weinke's Technical Diving in Depth. If it's math you want, that's the place to go. I can't even read the average equation in the book out loud, let alone solve it.

You want to keep the dissolved gas pressure less than a experimentally determined limit. That looks like this where the pressure is on the left of the inequality and the limit is on the right:

Po+(Pi-Po)(1-2^(-t/ht))<Mo+dM*D

where:
Po, is the starting inert gas pressure for a given half time compartment
Pi, is the inspired inert gas partial pressure
t, is the exposure time for a given depth
ht, is the half time in minutes (it has already been suggested that these are 40 and 120 minutes)
Mo, is constant part of the maximum allowable pressure for a given depth. Mo can apply for 1 atmosphere, or zero pressure (which are approximately 56, and 47 fsw for the 40 and 120 minute compartments respectively)
dM, is the variable part of M and lets you calculate a different M for each depth (which are approximately 1.18 and 1.08 for the 40 and 120 minute compartments respectively).
D, is the depth, which is really pressure.

The values for the M&#8217;s in feet of sea water, but these are units of pressure and not depth. In fact it is all about pressure and time.

So how does this relate back to pressure groups? Well I don&#8217;t know what was done with all the different tables but as a start it would be worth trying dividing the saturation gas pressure by the number of letter groups. Anyway that should be enough of a word problem.

Remember, as my Advanced Nitrox instructor always says (I've known him for many years)

...an unexploded goat is NOT proof of a good deco profile!

I've just ordered a log book stamp like this. (it just says "another unexploded goat" with a funny picture)

I'm stealing that.. this is priceless!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom