Another braided LP hose failed. Phantom from DGX this time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP said his hose was 5 years old.

The data you provided does not seem to support your implication that if the OP had used MiFlex he would not have had a problem.

Not implying that, but I can see how it might read that way. In summation, I think what I'm saying or want to say/imply, is this;
1 - This recent rash of problems seems to be related to MiFlex "knock-offs", I could be wrong.
2 - Change your hoses every 3'ish years. At least that is what works for ME. I also have my regs, stages etc., serviced EVERY YEAR, whether they need it or not. That's just me. I'm a fanatic about maintenance/rinsing, etc.
3 - There seems to be a mentality of "I'm going back to rubber hoses", from people that haven't had a problem with their braided hose(s).
4 - MiFlex has worked for me, "your mileage may vary".
5 - Let me add one more interesting tidbit/fact; I use hose protectors on most of my hoses. Again, NO ISSUES with rust, breakage, etc. I'm one that believes the whole hose protector thing, is one of the biggest wives tales out there. Again, that's just me.

With that said, I'm just as curious what DGX has to say about the whole thing. We've heard from MiFlex (on another thread).

1 - This recent rash of problems seems to be related to MiFlex "knock-offs", I could be wrong.

(on another thread).

Huh? actually most of the failures I have read about recently have been MFX marked miflex hoses.

By the materials used in Miflex (and covered in their patent) and the materials used in the asian sourced hoses that look like miflex (with different materials to get around said miflex patent), as was recently said to me by somebody with excellent knowledge of materials in scuba applications "not surprised

my 2 psi. Check hoses, if you have miflex or the look alikes part of checking should be flexing them and then checking for leaks and also flow.

Huh? actually most of the failures I have read about recently have been MFX marked miflex hoses..

It is not 100% confirmed that hoses stamped MFX are in fact MiFlex. Someone on another thread asked MiFlex to comment on this exact thing, response pending. They seem to be. Also, based on other threads, anything stamped MFX, seems to be 5 to 10 years old. All of my MiFlex are etched as Miflex, EN250, etc, etc.

OK, I have a window of opportunity over the next 7 days to replace all my generic (non- laser "Miflex" etched) LP braided hoses with new current Miflex hoses. If I do not replace them during the next 7 days I will be stuck using the generic ones 3-4 times per week in a remote location for the next few months.
The generic LP hoses are all between 2 and 4 years old and bought from Piranha, IST and Phantom.
Should I do this?

Isn't part of the criticism of the MiFlex hoses making the point that rubber hoses generally seem to be fine for many more years than just 3 to 5? Well, and also that you can usually see that a rubber hose is going to fail (if you bother to look) well before it actually fails, where the failing MiFlex (or knock-off) hoses look fine even after they HAVE failed?

If the MiFlex proponents promote them with the caveat that they should be changed every 3 to 5 years, then it all doesn't really sound like something to argue about. Each kind of hose has its pros and cons. Recognize those and vote with your money.

OK, I have a window of opportunity over the next 7 days to replace all my generic (non- laser "Miflex" etched) LP braided hoses with new current Miflex hoses. If I do not replace them during the next 7 days I will be stuck using the generic ones 3-4 times per week in a remote location for the next few months.
The generic LP hoses are all between 2 and 4 years old and bought from Piranha, IST and Phantom.
Should I do this?

Might as well, unless you can trade them in on rubber hoses instead.

.... To the OP, have you contacted Dive Gear Express ???

I haven't. I don't think I can hold DGX for this. After all, it has been 4 years since I bought them. I don't think DGX even know these hose don't list that long back then

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 11:19 AM ----------

Should I do this?

Just go back to good old rubber is what I would recommend. After using both braided hose and rubber, I really don't see much advantage of the braided. They are equal in real situation. That is why I didn't go out and replace anything to anything. Now with the potential unsigned failure, I see a major disadvantage. I don't think I will ever have braided in future, miflex or not

Phantom? They are no longer in business (reported to me from a very large retailer in the upper mid-west).... I had been told that the copyright infringement on MiFlex was the reason...

I have a whole bunch of Phantom, MiFlex, and others.... not overly thrilled to see "long term" issues develop with them. Long term seems a funny word as I still have rubber hoses from my 1980's gear that remain functional....

I haven't. I don't think I can hold DGX for this.

BTW, DGX is amazingly awesome. It would not surprise me if they did something for you on this. I would definitely call or email them about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom