Another callout but not a good ending

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queen:
Hi Gary,

Just a tip from someone who USED to do the job...when the order of your remedy changes (shots first or only) walk away. I appreciate the pain you're feeling and can say I waited too long after the remedy stopped including a sandwich to quit. It's a miserable, hard, painful job with infrequent bright spots. Do it for a time then let someone else do it so it won't eat you up. I stopped diving for a long time time afterwards as I had lost my joy for the sport (too many nasty memories) but now it's better and the memories are much dimmer - that happens but it takes time.

Don't mean to be a downer but wanted you to know you're not alone.
The booze is never a crutch. I just mixed some rum into the peanutbutter and banana mixture so it wasn't much.

Out of 42 diving years I have done this for all but 7 years. I don't use the bottle. But thanks for the heads up because some do and that leads to the path of self destruction.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
The booze is never a crutch. I just mixed some rum into the peanutbutter and banana mixture so it wasn't much.

Out of 42 diving years I have done this for all but 7 years. I don't use the bottle. But thanks for the heads up because some do and that leads to the path of self destruction.

Gary D.
Wow Gary, I truly wish I could have been more like you, I wanted to keep doing the job forever but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I think some people take things more to heart and others are able to shield themselves. You still seem to care about the people you help and that is a gift....to not become hard and jaded. I applaud your longevity!

Gary I grew up in that are actually bay view on naval research center there , and understand that area well, as far as the deputy you all need to do a critical incident debriefing right away children seem to bother people more than adults do . And each incident might just trigger one or more reactions, sometimes this stuff just builds up.
I was actually if they still there one of the founding people who stated bayview - athol quick response team . but please do a incident briefing for that patrolman and the rest of you .

WreckWritter
I also lost one yesterday, car wreck, not dive accident. I'm now 0 for 3 on CPR.

Hey guy I been a Paramedic for 18 yrs and it don't get any easier any time with a CPR no matter what the initial reason is and the survival rate isn’t that good even with lifepak, drugs, and Airway tools, but keep it up some day YOU will make the difference. And you will know it then. Remember this with out people like you they have no chance at all.

Got the results back and I'm not happy about them. They went way beyond the typical drowning Post but couldn't find anything wrong. Just a wet drowning. Now we will never know why, as if it would matter.

Medic13: The QRU is history as all of them are. We are now basicly 3 departments. CdA Fire Med., Kootenai County Fire Med. and Timberlake Fire Med. All our departments are staffed and paid now. Much better than the old days.

When did you move?

The patrol deputy that assisted us has been with the CI Team and is still having trouble. He's shake it in time.

Thanks for the support everyone. This is the first call in years that we have been on where we didn't get attacked by the family or general public for how we work. It felt good for a change.

Gary D.

ps: we had 2 stand-by pages today for PWC accidents.

I moved away in 1978 and man I sure miss the lovely landscape up there .Down hear in NC, its hot and very humid and lots of sand .
I have one more year till retirement so hanging in there .I too understand about paid staff as I am the Captain of our shift .so seen the days of most volunteers gone , some good some bad.

Back
Top Bottom