Another Cheezy movie and another set of actors lives threatened

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The movie (performance) industry is unionized and thus highly regulated. They could not be "in water" 8 hours a day unless the coffee truck was submersible.

It was one of the actresses that said that. I, too, question it

Disclaimer: I haven't seen the movie, so I may be wrong, but.....
In one review the reviewer referred to "oxygen tanks", and said that "the Bends is a Brain injury that results from rising too fast"......
Could the reviewer at least get the facts correct?
(Why start now?) :)

Could the reviewer at least get the facts correct?
(Why start now?) :)

Even the great Roger Ebert didn't get the facts straight about Edward F. "Doc" Ricketts when he reviewed the film "Cannery Row." I exchanged several letters with him to correct his erroneous representation of "Doc" as a drunken bum (happily intoxicated and brilliant marine biologist and philosopher would be more accurate). He said he based his statements on the PR sheet given him by the studio. We can't expect reviewers to be as knowledgeable as the average diver and fact check the PR crap given them before they write their reviews.

I read one interview that seemed to say the actresses were in the water eight hours a day for eight weeks. Is my memory correct? At least they were only at 20 fsw. I rarely go to see a movie that features diving due to the nonsense usually contained within. I do enough real diving not to need a fake theater fix.
If it will make you feel better, same thing happens with "flying" movies, for example Top gun or Flyboys.

It's even worse for actual science. I've seen lab equipment apparently working installed upside down. And don't even get me started on coloured fluids in random beakers, flasks and tubes.....

Hollywood inaccuracies in diving and flying genre movies? They can't even get it right within their own genre. Movies about making movie are just as full of b.s. I point to classics such as Singing in the Rain and Sunset Blvd., as well as modern flicks on the subject like Shadow of the Vampire and Tropic Thunder. Entertainment it may be, but accurate it is not.

Back
Top Bottom