Another computer quandary.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stuart, you nit-pick so much, I begin to hesitate to ever comment in a thread you participate in because, it usually ends up "Blue" must be defined as "light blue", "sky blue", "ocean blue', etc. etc. etc. Never enough....

Tom said some, and I might agree some. Did he check in and say that the Puck does? No, and following up with "some do", I excluded the Puck. Pardon for not being an English major, formulating the perfect response, having the editors verify/refine, and then publish the book...

good grief....

I'm out..............................................................
@rhwestfall

I'm with @stuartv, accurate information to allow divers to make their own, informed decisions. If you're not going to contribute, perhaps better that you bow out.

I have been diving an Oceanic primary computer running DSAT for 15 years/nearly 1400 dives. I do light deco on approximately 5% of my dives. The longest deco I have had is 14 minutes, all at 10 feet. I don't know what it would take to have a 20 ft stop, I can't even imagine what it would take to have a stop deeper than 60 feet and to enter violation mode based on this criteria.
Good question.

I went to Multi-deco and configured the Buhlmann to GFs of 95/95, figuring that would be reasonably close to DSAT. (Maybe I'm wrong.) I figured an air dive on which the diver strayed beyond maximum recreational depths to 150 feet and stayed at that depth for two hours. That gives a 70 foot stop. The diver would need a little over 900 cubic feet of air to do the dive. The dive would take a bit over 10 hours. I would not want to do it, personally.

I then configured it to GFs of 50/80, which is what I usually use. That was much more reasonable. An air diver could get to a deco stop at 70 feet diving only to 130 feet for a mere 90 minutes. Not much more than 600 cubic feet of air would be needed, and it would take less than 7 hours of total bottom time. That's much more doable.

Good question.

I went to Multi-deco and configured the Buhlmann to GFs of 95/95, figuring that would be reasonably close to DSAT. (Maybe I'm wrong.) I figured an air dive on which the diver strayed beyond maximum recreational depths to 150 feet and stayed at that depth for two hours. That gives a 70 foot stop. The diver would need a little over 900 cubic feet of air to do the dive. The dive would take a bit over 10 hours. I would not want to do it, personally.

I then configured it to GFs of 50/80, which is what I usually use. That was much more reasonable. An air diver could get to a deco stop at 70 feet diving only to 130 feet for a mere 90 minutes. Not much more than 600 cubic feet of air would be needed, and it would take less than 7 hours of total bottom time. That's much more doable.
:) I dive a Nitek Q as backup, generally at 75/95, it is a reasonable approximation of DSAT for all but deepest recreational depths, where I dive 75/100.

Last edited:
... I'm with @stuartv, accurate information to allow divers to make their own, informed decisions. ...
Well so am I. Did you really read his post for content?

...//... And if you screw up so badly that you HAVE to skip a stop - ...

Give me a break. That is lawyer statement, not something coming from a real-world diver.

@scubadada. My personal opinion is offered below. Feel free...

Context, content, and intent:

...//... Which means there really should be no reason you ever can't fulfill any mandatory deco stop that you incur for yourself. A deco obligation that you shouldn't even incur in the first place, if you aren't trained for decompression diving (e.g. the OP).
That is always a safe statement. Marks you as a "Right Fighter". Are You a "Right-Fighter"? - Communication - Relationships - Family Resource

Now, I am aware that iit is somewhat dangerous for me to quote the pompous ass. But he is often backed by interesting ideas. Life is full of compromises. I'll take two steps out on the plank on this one.

So you never came up short? Would you not nip a safety stop (if boat recalled) that got promoted due to mucking about at the tie-in? Or drift. I don't drift so I can't say.

But that can never happen as it would be "wrong".

...//... And if you screw up so badly that you HAVE to skip a stop - because, say, you stayed down so long you went into deco AND you ran OOA while trying to hang for your deco stop - well then, I don't really see a problem with your computer refusing to cooperate with you on any plan to dive again within 24 hours. Especially if it will still work in Gauge Mode, which the ones I have seen will do. They don't lock you out of diving. They just lock you INTO Gauge mode.
OH! So your computer gives you the finger but still offers gauge mode?

I'd love to see how many recreational divers comprehend anything in gauge mode. Why do you offer gauge mode in a recreational area? Out of arguments?

So let's say you are on an expensive vacation, you blew a stop due to whatever. 24 Hr. timeout or stupidly restricted dives afterward. No lawyers were harmed...

Well, @lowviz, I confess that I do not understand what point you are trying to make.

In case I was too verbose for you to understand my point, it was that the issue of recreational computers locking out is, in my opinion, not a real-world problem. In other words, the OP should not make a decision to avoid a Mares Puck because of a concern about being locked out.

Hello all, thanks for the replies. It appears that I misread, misinterpreted, or believed incorrect info I gleaned of internet forums. It happens sometimes because I am a French Model. Bonjour.

Anyway, it's good to know that I wouldn't get locked out just by incurring a deco obligation, rather only if I violated the stops. As a recreational diver that's probably a good reason to lock out and I can live with that.

I guess I could always go back to diving the Skinny Dipper and do repetitive dives to 110' for 13 mins all day long. Regardless of depth or time of previous dives.:confused:

Thanks Again

I guess I could always go back to diving the Skinny Dipper and do repetitive dives to 110' for 13 mins all day long. Regardless of depth or time of previous dives.:confused:
1. I would add extra O2 into the mix, EAN 28 or 30(PPO2 1.4).
2. 2hrs surface interval between dive.
3. Stay well clear of even 1 min of deco penalty.
4. Add another computer of different algorithm so you can compare and contrast. Use the conservative one as primary and the liberal one as back up.
5. Computer is just a tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom