Another E8-119 or an E8-130

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob,

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear in my post....

I dive double 119's and they trim perfect. I just wanted to let other divers know that the head heavy issue is not something that everyone experiences (although it looks like most do!). My theory is that my legs are more negative than my upper body (or lack thereof). Different bodies will have different results, so it's best to try out tanks before you buy.

triton94949:
In a perfect world, in addition to your 2 sets of double 130s, you could get 2 more sets of smaller doubles, and 5 single tanks of the same size for NDL. Plus four 40 cu ft deco bottles, and an argon bottle or air pony. :)

I think I could probably be okay with just 2 single tanks for NDL, and use the small doubles as multi-purpose. The E7-100-sized doubles are really not much heavier on the back than a single E8-130...

Otherwise I like the way you think...

Might need some AL80 stages / deco bottles in there at some point too...

FrankF:
Bob,

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear in my post....

I dive double 119's and they trim perfect. I just wanted to let other divers know that the head heavy issue is not something that everyone experiences (although it looks like most do!). My theory is that my legs are more negative than my upper body (or lack thereof). Different bodies will have different results, so it's best to try out tanks before you buy.

I would think that shorter and thinner would be better for head-heavy doubles. The added buoyancy around the waist would need tanks that have more metal in the bottom (longer tanks, older LP80s, etc).

That's actually why I was wondering about the E7-120s -- even though they're really long, if you could dive them they'd probably trim out nicely for those of us with a little extra padding...

lamont:
I would think that shorter and thinner would be better for head-heavy doubles. The added buoyancy around the waist would need tanks that have more metal in the bottom (longer tanks, older LP80s, etc).

That's actually why I was wondering about the E7-120s -- even though they're really long, if you could dive them they'd probably trim out nicely for those of us with a little extra padding...

I would think there is more than one way to skin a cat (British big game hunting expression).

If there truly were a top-heavy issue, then switching to an aluminum backplate and putting more weight onto one's weight belt should fix it. Among other things.

Jason,

What size of wing are you using with 119CFs? Do you think H-Explorer 40lb works for a double 119CFs?

Thanks in advance,

Hoosier

Jason B:
A lot of people seem to complain of trim with tanks such as E8-119's, E7-100's, LP95's....I'm 5'8" and I dive double LP95's (with a SS BP, no ankle weights, or weight belt) and they don't make me head heavy. I know of several divers in my height range diving LP95's and E7-100's with no trim issues.

Jason

Diving with doubles takes some getting used to. With a little practice and some awareness of how you hold your body, how you kick, and how tight to wear the harness, you should be able to switch sizes at will without much problem.

I regularly switch between LP 104s and 95s, and have borrowed 120s, and in the water can't really tell the difference.

theskull

theskull, are you talking to me? :wink:

I was told that 40lb wing used to be good for a set of AL80, any7.25 inch diameter thnks and 50lb is good for a set of any 8 inch diameter ones. It is a mainly matter of the tank diameter, not weight. Do you agree with that?

Please let me have your insight. Thanks,

theskull:
Diving with doubles takes some getting used to. With a little practice and some awareness of how you hold your body, how you kick, and how tight to wear the harness, you should be able to switch sizes at will without much problem.

I regularly switch between LP 104s and 95s, and have borrowed 120s, and in the water can't really tell the difference.

theskull

hoosier:

I was told that 40lb wing used to be good for a set of AL80, any7.25 inch diameter thnks and 50lb is good for a set of any 8 inch diameter ones. It is a mainly matter of the tank diameter, not weight. Do you agree with that?

Lots of divers are ditching their Explorer 55s for a new Agir (sp?) 38# and 47# doubles wings....and all the while using double 130s. So you probably don't need nearly as much lift as you might think, as long as you have a balanced rig.

http://salvodiving.com/backplates__wings

You should also look at the width of the wing besides lift. The wing should wrap around the side of the tank somewhat. The H 40# Explorer wings can be used with 104s, but the 55# wing is a little more stable due to the extra width. The 40# is sufficient for AL80s.

teknitroxdiver:
Lots of divers are ditching their Explorer 55s for a new Agir (sp?) 38# and 47# doubles wings....and all the while using double 130s. So you probably don't need nearly as much lift as you might think, as long as you have a balanced rig.

http://salvodiving.com/backplates__wings

hoosier:

Wasn't necessarily talking to you.

Wing size is a totally different issue from what size tanks will be comfortable for you and trim out well. Weight is definitely an issue for wing size, as is whether you dive wet or dry, fresh or salt, alu or steel backplate, etc., and how many stages you plan to carry with you. My personal opinion, which is not in line with the main thoughts expressed on this board is that more lift is better, within reason. Can you have too little lift?--YES. Can you have too much?--maybe, with plenty of arguments involved.

I prefer at least 60 lbs. lift, and up to 100 lbs. for diving steel doubles with ss b/p and drysuit. I am also a cave diver, who sometimes carries multiple stages and sometimes needs to be heavy to get down into a cave against strong outward flow. And need to still be heavy at the end of the dive to stick at a deco stop while the outward flow is trying to carry me out.

Try some various gear out, consult with local divers who do the kind of diving you plan to do, and follow your own wisdom rather than taking an online consensus.

Dive safe and have fun,
theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom