Another end of dive collapse...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the lateralized neuro change and sudden onset and resolution I would lean toward TIA. I guess DCS with a PFO could cause TIA symptoms also. Most folk with hypoglycemia are amnestic in addition to the fact they don't self-correct. I also agree with Tom, I'd recommend an CV workup

Yikes! Great job Rick, to you and the rest of the crew.

Small update:
Download of the computer showed an absolutely benign dive profile. There were two blips on the ascent rate consistent with raising the computer to look at it, otherwise a textbook ascent and safety stop. If this is a "dive related" episode I'll be greatly surprised.
Rick

The more I read about "diving" accidents, the more it seems like so many are the result of a pre-existing condition that has not been diagnosed or something that is not directly related to the dive but may have been exacerbated by the dive.

Rick Murchison:
Small update:
Download of the computer showed an absolutely benign dive profile. There were two blips on the ascent rate consistent with raising the computer to look at it, otherwise a textbook ascent and safety stop. If this is a "dive related" episode I'll be greatly surprised.
Rick

Well done.

All I can say is that if the outcome was opposite of what happened, then the there would be no doubt that it would have been reported as a "dive related" episode.

Amazing post, Rick. Thanks. Reminds me that it can hit the fan at any time. Cool heads will prevail.

Continued wishes of recovery for Joe.

you know, if you're going to pick a place to have a diving emergency, that boat
was about "it"

always the best when the outcome is good

Wow! Thanks for sharing! Glad he is okay!

Nice to hear of a good outcome.

Another lesson here, though, is that we can't rely on physicians, medics, nurses, or lawyers to be on every dive boat (lawyers maybe...there are so many of them....). All divers, especially your buddy, should have some first aid training, oxygen administration training, and absolutely cpr training. sounds like everything done by the pro rescuers on this boat is very much within the capabilities of all of us with a little bit of training.

So, stay fit, dive safe, and be ready to help out a fellow diver.

Back
Top Bottom